Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-21, 04:29 PM  
sillygirl

Smile How do you stay excited about your DVD collection?

I want to return to simpler times and enjoy all the workout DVDs I already own. Being a vidiot, I've fallen prey to all the instant-access streaming sites, live workouts every.single.day, and endless YouTube videos.

I'm thinking of putting all my DVD titles on slips of paper in a jar and start by picking a new one out at least once a week. However, my OCD tendencies want to do the workouts in order by instructor. First-world problems, I know.

So how do you stay excited about your fitness DVD collection? Hoping your tips and experience will bring myself and others back to having gratitude for the workouts we already have instead of constantly looking for the next best thing. TIA!
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 05:20 PM  
Demeris

I don't have any trips or tricks, but I like to rearrange and reorganize my collection. I find that really inspiring. OR I'll look up my videos/instructors on Collage or on Mary's site and watch the clips.

I also will look through past workout journals and read my notes.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 05:24 PM  
sillygirl

Oh yes, I look at the workout clips all the time! I just don’t actually take out the DVDs and play them. Thanks!
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 06:31 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demeris View Post
I don't have any trips or tricks, but I like to rearrange and reorganize my collection. I find that really inspiring. OR I'll look up my videos/instructors on Collage or on Mary's site and watch the clips.

I also will look through past workout journals and read my notes.
ditto on these.

i recently started reboxing some of my DVDs, and that piqued my interest. in tandem with the reboxing, i updated my excel spreadsheet, and that too re-motivated me.

despite all of this, i have been doing freelance, DIY cardio and/or weights workouts. i needed to step back from my DVDs and decide what i need to purge.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 06:42 PM  
Mickey12

I like to reogranize occasionally and that always makes me notice workouts I haven't done in a really long time. Try putting all the DVDs from one instructor in date order.

I also find reading threads here, like the vintage dustbunny sporadic checkin, very motivating because it reminds me of old workouts that I own and pushes me to do them again. A lot of times, doing one old workout will cause me to do another one from either that same instructor, or that era, or that type of workout. It sort of builds on itself.

Good luck!
Old 03-03-21, 07:15 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post

I'm thinking of putting all my DVD titles on slips of paper in a jar and start by picking a new one out at least once a week.
I did this once, and it did work for me for about 6 weeks. I could only do workouts that week by that one instructor/series. It's a fun way to shake things up and maybe pull out workouts you wouldn't normally reach for. But it makes it harder to work towards any specific goal, which is why I eventually stopped.
Old 03-03-21, 07:27 PM  
kat999

I change my rotations/organization system frequently and do mini, focused rotations sometimes. Last week, I did an all FIRM Zip Trainer week. Last October, I did only "pink" FIRMs. I've done small Jari Love weeks. Some rotations are only 1 week or 1 month, and some last longer. I'm currently coming to what feels like the close of a rotation since November of doing two long workouts a day, and I think that burned me out. I needed this thread to remind me of how to shake things up again.
Old 03-03-21, 07:43 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Adding on to say that I do tend to keep my workout streak going much better when I commit to one instructor's workouts for a block of time, whether it be 1 week, 2 weeks, or until I get bored with them. I've found that if I jump around randomly or intend to rotate through a few different instructors at once, I lose my focus. This also allows me to explore workouts/premixes/add-ons/bonuses that I might not have really thought about trying before.
Old 03-03-21, 07:58 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

I’m super excited about all of my DVD workouts because I’m just reacquiring them after 15 years or so. I’m in that zone where after I do one workout, I’m already thinking about what would go well with it the next day. That being said, I’m really interested in everyone else’s answers because I’m wondering whether burnout/boredom with what I had contributed to my drifting away from working out to DVDs. Did I just stare at my collection one day and think, “I’m sick of these. I don’t want to do them anymore.” Of course, life circumstances and changing interests played a big part, but maybe I needed a little imagination as well to keep going.
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 09:16 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillygirl View Post

So how do you stay excited about your fitness DVD collection?
I buy more stuff....I don't suggest this..

Instead I will do themed workouts. February was Black History Month workouts, with instructors of color. March is Women's History Month, so only the ladies this month. Not sure what I'll do for April. Maybe barre and kettlebells, since April is the month of rebirth, and barre and kettlebells are still fairly new to me.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
large collection, rotations, too many choices, too many options, variety