Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-22-20, 09:06 AM  
primrosecat

Unhappy Cable etc

I have a Spectrum bundle for my internet, tv, and landline. They just raised my rates and won't negotiate. I lost my husband 2 months ago and my income is now limited. Are there options? I don't like ATT&T because we fought a battle with them over a 2 yr contract and raising rates. Does anyone have any advice, which I would really appreciate.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 09:24 AM  
BigBadBetty

I think this question would be better for local message board like Next Door. Internet coverage is completely location dependent. I don't pay for a landline or cable to save money. I do have SlingTV to get some cable channels. The DVR isn't nearly as nice, but it is cheaper.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 10:03 AM  
sherry7899

I am so very sorry for your loss.
I wish I had advice. We wanted to keep our landline and it is cheapest for us to.bundle it with internet and tv. We have Verizon fios. They do offer specials and discounts all the time. I am sorry that At&t does not.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 10:07 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I'm so sorry this is something you have to deal with on top of your loss.

Do you have any teenagers/younger people in your life who could help you cut the cord and set up options off of a cable system? We "cut the cord" 2.5 years ago. It took some time to get the pieces set up that work for us, but we love it now.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 10:20 AM  
fanofladyvols

Primrosecat
I'm sorry I don't have any advice..but I did want to extend some condolences at your loss through this. Spectrum is one of the companies I had to show my less than finer self as they made things difficult after we lost my MIL. My husband couldn't handle the stress.
I echo the advice to see if there is a relative you can ask to help you sort this out?

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 10:33 AM  
LAC

First, I'm so sorry for your recent loss and send you sympathy and hugs.

We don't have access to cable where I live. The line ends a half a mile a way from us and the company won't run it to the houses on our road unless 20 families agree to pay $5,000 each (and then pay a monthly bill for service as well). So our only option for internet is to have a landline with DSL and then we get our tv separately through a satellite service. The two costs are outrageous and I wouldn't recommend this set up. Personally I'd like to ditch the satellite tv, but my husband won't let it go. I'll be interested to see what suggestions others have for you.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 11:51 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

sorry for your loss, and sorry for all of the hassle they're giving you.

in our city, we used to be a customer of spectrum's predecessor. they had a monopoly until dish TV came along. we switched and never looked back.

we have a landline and internet bundled with a different provider. i wouldn't want to replace our landline with spectrum because when the electricity goes out, you don't have any phone service. we use the landline for our security alarm. true, it can be connected to a cell phone, but we chose to keep it with a landline.

our cell phone is with AT&T because my husband gets a teacher's discount.

it's possible to bundle our Dish, internet, and phone service, but we prefer not to.

a couple of years ago, my brother-in-law re-negotiated my mom's cable service with Spectrum because she is a senior citizen. i would look into other possible discounts you may have with your memberships. for example, look into possible discounts (not just with Spectrum, but maybe the dish providers in your city) from memberships with Costco, labor union, professional organizations, college alumni, Sam's club, credit unions, banks, employers, schools, other utilities you may have such as electricity provider, etc.

consider also the possibility of cutting the cord with Spectrum all together - that's more the norm these days. I've tagged this thread, and there are several threads about VFers who stopped their cable service.

what with the current pandemic, perhaps these providers might be losing customers and possibly creating new opportunities.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 02:56 PM  
primrosecat

Thanks everyone

I appreciate everyone's input. I am just upset with Spectrum. They would not negotiate. I am reading everything again to see what might help me out.Thanks for your kindness. I just lost him 2 months ago and am still feeling raw.
primrosecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 07:01 PM  
Jennifer P.
VF Supporter

Is there another company you can go to for your phone (if you still have landline) & inernet? If you want to try streaming, the roku express is only $24.98 at Target right now. Most streaming services offer a trial period, although I think most are only 7 days... Anyway, figure out what channels you want & then go looking at theoptions: hulu, hulu with live tv, philo, sling, youtube with live tv, etc.

If you don't want to try streaming, are there other companies that offer cable tv in your area? Also, I don't think it's a good idea to go with no name companies for any of your services.

I currently have Cox & love all the channels I get but I hate the price--& I am on a 2 year contract. The contract expires in September, & if they can't keep the price as it is or go lower, I might explore other options.

Let's keep this beautiful planet & all its wonderful creatures alive!
Jennifer P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-20, 09:15 PM  
kas97

I am also sorry for your loss

I do not know what services you actually have, but I spent around $60 for a Ooma and now pay under $6/month for a landline.

We found there was nothing ever on cable - or the same stuff over and over - so we were fine to switch to Netflix, Hulu and Prime only. We have sporadically used DirecTV Now, Sling, and YouTubeTV, all available for approx. $60/month without special pricing.

Internet is a non-negotiable, especially if you want access to streaming to cut cable. I do call my company yearly and tell them I'm turning off my service to get a discount/1 year promo price. From what I've read online, it is the only way to get a discount - through the retentions department. This could possibly work with your cable too. However, I think you have to be prepared to actually cancel your service, although it has never gone that far for me.
kas97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, cable tv, cord cutting