Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-02-12, 04:43 PM  
Sara1000

The worst news

Apparently Coach Sean O'Malley committed suicide - it's on his Facebook page now - his sister wrote that he suffered from mental illness and depression for many years.

I don't know how to reconcile this information with the unbelievably encouraging guy on the Cardio Coach CDs. I am so sad.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 04:51 PM  
Susan

I had a feeling that was what happened, after reading the comment someone had posted on FB about him being so sad.

It is so heartbreaking that someone who did so much for so many, was silently suffering so terribly.

I hope Sean is finally at peace.

His sister's FB post has been re-posted on the Cathe forum: http://cathe.com/forum/f97/sean-omal...assing-288741/

I give the family tremendous credit for having the courage to go public about what happened, even when I'm sure they are absolutely devastated.
Old 04-02-12, 04:55 PM  
Sara1000

I only 'knew' him from his incredible workouts so he is the last person I would ever expect to do that.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 04:58 PM  
isebelleg44

I am in shock. I was so hoping that this wasn't case. He must have suffered so much and his poor family. He is so encouraging on his workouts.
I just read his sister's post and my heart breaks for that family.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
~Attributed to both T.H. Thompson and John Watson
isebelleg44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 05:12 PM  
Breezy Trousers

It's important to discuss openly, I think. Depression often has its basis in phyisiology. Rachel Maddow has suffered from lifelong depression, as she recently discussed on NPR. She likens its onset to the onset of migraines in others. She says she's learned to recognize the signs of its approach and has learned to "ride the train" until she's able to jump off it and get back to normal. Some can't jump off.

Coach Sean O'Malley's manner of death doesn't take away from the tremendous love and respect people had for him, obviously.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 05:12 PM  
Calistro

I too had a feeling that is what it was. I feel pain to know that he was suffering , knowing he was so generous and helped others including me. A relative of mine has suffered from a mental illness for years and it is so hard to know what to do.
His Family is indeed brave for sharing it.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 05:14 PM  
brownie123

Omg!!! I love his workouts, he was (is) so inspirational. That is heartbreaking. I cannot believe it. May he be in peace.
brownie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 05:17 PM  
trishthedish

I'm glad his sister posted about it too. Its what I suspected as well even though I really did not want that to be the case. So sad for his family. His sister's post just breaks my heart. I can't imagine what they are going thru. He was so inspirational to so many of us, so this is just hard to fathom.
Old 04-02-12, 05:19 PM  
trishthedish

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie123 View Post
Omg!!! I love his workouts, he was (is) so inspirational. That is heartbreaking. I cannot believe it. May he be in peace.
Oh and you are right - he is STILL going to be inspirational. This doesn't change a thing for me about how I feel about him. If anything, it just opens my eyes to depression and what it can be like. I will continue to draw inspiration from his workouts and smile when I'm doing them. I hope that he is able to look down and see how much of an impact he had on everyone.
Old 04-02-12, 05:23 PM  
cristinalatina

It takes guts to speak about this openly.

My family has struggled for many years against depression. Family members have attempted suicide, unsuccessfully. Personally I can't take the thought of the toll an actual suicide can cause. My condolences to his family...they deserve tremendous respect for raising awareness about this subject that is so taboo for all of us.

Tags
cardio coach, coach sean, depression