Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-04-11, 01:33 PM  
chapina

Could someone please explain T-Tapp to me?

I kept hearing mention of T-Tapp on TA/barre/Callanetics threads, so I borrowed the "Barefoot Basics" workout through my kineticflix subscription. I just received it and as I was previewing it all I could think was "WHAT.IS.THIS??" The movements seemed completely different from barre/TA/Callanetics and even in Callanetics (arguably the most "different" compared to barre and TA) the movements are clearly influenced by Lotte Berk and ballet.

So I did read the reviews here on the T-Tapp System -great reviews, BTW - and I know that the T-Tapp website has a forum, but I think the vfers are unbiased so I wanted to hear your thoughts on the following:

- For those of you who did T-Tapp consistently, what were your results? If you were doing other types of workouts (e.g. traditional weight lifting, cardio, etc.) at the same time, do you credit some or all results to T-Tapp? The website claims all sorts of things (your cellulite will disappear!); are any of these claims true for you?

- For those of you like me who will keep doing different types of workouts regardless (I know I miss, say, yoga after not practicing for a while, so I know I won't stick with one type of workout exclusively even if it gives me great results), is T-Tapp a good addition to your fitness toolbox or are there more effective types of workouts for the results you want?

- Why the insistence on wearing shoes? I do most of my workouts barefoot on a yoga mat (though I wear proper workout clothes; I'm just weird like that) and I really don't see much of a difference between wearing or not wearing shoes in any system - except for band workouts where you have to step on the band.

TIA for your thoughts! I'd like to give T-Tapp a fair chance before it gets Joni-O'ed all the way back to the mailbox!

- Maria
chapina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 03:11 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I never wore shoes, so maybe that effected my results

I did them in addition to other stuff. I've only stuck with two strict rotations in my life, and even with one of them (P90X) subbed in different yoga .

I did lose some inches that I'd credit to T-Tapp, but didn't stick with T-Tapp, as they're not very exciting dvds.

I may have to pull them out and try them, now that you've mentioned it.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-11, 04:24 PM  
rosepetals

I do the workouts barefoot. In one of her dvds she says her lawyers told her to so the moves in shoes to decrease liability. There now is one workout done barefoot. It's the foot fitness one.

When I started doing t-tapp I was shocked at how many inches I lost. I would have to check my notes to see how many in a month. It was rather pleasing with very noticeable improvements in my ab area. It made my muscles look more toned, firmer, less cottage cheese appearance. I did it consistently for a couple of months then I got sick, went on vacation. . . You know the story.

Overall I felt like for me the workout was life changing. I have MS, so workouts are difficult. When you bend, tuck, push out your knees, ribs up and implement all the form techniques properly the workouts are very hard. As my form improved, the workouts got harder. She claims to improve the neurokinetic flow. I totally believe it because my balance improved quite a bit. It has something to do with the left-right movements across the midline of the body. It works for me.

It was amazing because of the neurological disorder my balance is very bad. Strength wise, my overall strength improved in leaps and bounds. I haven't been able to tiptoe again due to ms. No matter what exercises I have done over the last 3 years, nothing worked. Her workouts helped to develop those muscles. The wiring between my brain and nerves worked better so I could use the muscles more effectively. Before it was like the muscles would not work because they weren't receiving the messages frm the nerves. Now they work better. My foot drop dissipated with regular use of the workouts. I can raise my toes up and move my foot better than before. I used to hardly be able to use it.

My leg muscles were weak, but after tapping, I could walk farther, longer distances, even in the sand better. My brain fog cleared up gradually over time. Its a fog that makes you feel sleep, hard to make a decision, hard to think. I found when I got foggy headed I could do some movements and it cleared up, or when my balance was off I could do some hoedowns and see immediate improvement after the first month.

There are so many ways it improved me. My cardio workouts improved. When I strayed away from it I was able to do longer cardio workouts and much more challenging ones than before.

I am getting back into doing the workouts again, since it had so many positive changes. I also will do other workouts too, now that I have the ability and strength to since doing t-tapp.

It's a workout I plan to keep in my life-long plan.
rosepetals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 12:52 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Rosepetals: That is an amazing testimonial. I know there is a T-Tapp instructor who has MS, but it is cool hearing about a VFer.

I do T-Tapp on an off and I think it is brilliant. I did a 10 day bootcamp and lost 8.5 inches. I found the Total Workout to be too challenging and got MORE and lost another 6 inches in the next 6 weeks. The results aren't spectacular, especially compared to some of the testimonials, but I found it to be very challenging and wasn't as consistent as I should be. T-Tapp is very form sensitive, so I think I may have made form errors after I started getting tired.

The major benefit that I got from T-Tapp was access to my core in a way that even Pilates didn't give me. My abs and core still have a ways to go, but T-Tapp really changed the game for me. I also have got a new understanding of body alignment in everyday life.

Teresa Tapp recommends shoes with her workouts because, in addition to liability concerns, some of the exercises involve creating instabilities to challenge the balance and those moves can cause the feet and ankles to collapse if they are not supported.

Some people find T-Tapp to be monotonous, but I don't mind the no-music-Teresa-craziness. It is hard enough that I have to concentrate to do it, so it is engaging. If you have reservations, you can do the Try Before You Buy exercises on her website. She also has Youtube videos of some of her exercises. In addition, you could also get the book, which has all of the exercises in the Total Workout. In addition, if you decide you want to get a DVD, the book has a 30% off coupon that you can use on your order.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 07:43 AM  
froggy

Chapina,

T-tapp is a very comprehensive progrma that, when done correctly, works everything from chin to toe. The first time I did it, 2001, I was amazed at the strength gains and inc loss I had from it. And at that time I was doing only Ttapp. Every time I venture off I ask myself why and the only answer I can come up with is that I let my exercise ADD take over which causes me to seek new and different or harder workouts, pretty sets and music. Not that anything is wrong with all that. I just need to remember to keep ttapp in the mix as my medicine because it does things to my body that nothing else does which, as you can see, I am terrible at explaining.

I suggest searching through some of Lannettes old posts. She doesn't do t-tapp exclusively but she is a trainer who has posted a wealth of information on why and how it works.

Rosepetals, I loved reading your story.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 07:52 AM  
froggy

Hitting back after an edit = double post. Just learned that.
froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 08:38 AM  
Demeris

Rosepetal, wonderful explanation of how you benefited from t-tapp. beyond.omega and froggie--I loved reading what you wrote, too.

I stared tapping in 2000. I did it on and off until 2006, when I consciously made it a part of my fitness routines.

I do lots of barre, I do Kari Anderson, Classical Stretch, TA, too, and t-tapp taught me everything I need to know about form to get the best benefits possible from the other exercise modes I do.

Any time I'm feeling icky or perimenopausal crazy--I do t-tapp. I try to tapp at least 2Xs a week.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 09:53 AM  
mountaingal

rosepetals,

Have you ever thought about sending your story to Teresa (or have you already?)

Cynthia
mountaingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-11, 10:21 AM  
MM-Om

I have the workouts and never tried them. I only previewed them when I got them and was thinking how can this be effective?? Thanks to this thread I will try them sometimes next year for sure. I think I have 2 or 3 dvds (don't even know which ones).

Did you add any cardio with these?
Old 12-07-11, 10:49 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosepetals View Post
I do the workouts barefoot. In one of her dvds she says her lawyers told her to so the moves in shoes to decrease liability. There now is one workout done barefoot. It's the foot fitness one.

When I started doing t-tapp I was shocked at how many inches I lost. I would have to check my notes to see how many in a month. It was rather pleasing with very noticeable improvements in my ab area. It made my muscles look more toned, firmer, less cottage cheese appearance. I did it consistently for a couple of months then I got sick, went on vacation. . . You know the story.

Overall I felt like for me the workout was life changing. I have MS, so workouts are difficult. When you bend, tuck, push out your knees, ribs up and implement all the form techniques properly the workouts are very hard. As my form improved, the workouts got harder. She claims to improve the neurokinetic flow. I totally believe it because my balance improved quite a bit. It has something to do with the left-right movements across the midline of the body. It works for me.

It was amazing because of the neurological disorder my balance is very bad. Strength wise, my overall strength improved in leaps and bounds. I haven't been able to tiptoe again due to ms. No matter what exercises I have done over the last 3 years, nothing worked. Her workouts helped to develop those muscles. The wiring between my brain and nerves worked better so I could use the muscles more effectively. Before it was like the muscles would not work because they weren't receiving the messages frm the nerves. Now they work better. My foot drop dissipated with regular use of the workouts. I can raise my toes up and move my foot better than before. I used to hardly be able to use it.

My leg muscles were weak, but after tapping, I could walk farther, longer distances, even in the sand better. My brain fog cleared up gradually over time. Its a fog that makes you feel sleep, hard to make a decision, hard to think. I found when I got foggy headed I could do some movements and it cleared up, or when my balance was off I could do some hoedowns and see immediate improvement after the first month.

There are so many ways it improved me. My cardio workouts improved. When I strayed away from it I was able to do longer cardio workouts and much more challenging ones than before.

I am getting back into doing the workouts again, since it had so many positive changes. I also will do other workouts too, now that I have the ability and strength to since doing t-tapp.

It's a workout I plan to keep in my life-long plan.
rosepetal, you are a true inspiration! I know several people who have MS. It is such a strange disease. Some live with mild symptoms while others are hit hard. The first person that I know who was stricken with MS was hit hard. In a matter of months he was in a wheelchair. He was a doctor in the Navy at the time, and when he retired, he went into private practice. He has since retired and it's a miracle that he is still alive.

Beyond.Omega, you mentioned in another thread that Teresa has changed her tuck. Can you tell me when she changed it and what DVD? I have the majority of her workouts, but I think her Ladybug workout and others around that time is the last time I bought a T-Tapp workout. TIA!
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
t-tapp, t-tapp results