Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-21, 07:48 PM  
Sarah O.
VF Supporter

Gen X Workout

I did the Firm: Volume 6 yesterday and got a kick out of it being called Boomers. I don’t remember it being called that 20 years ago? Anyway, it got me thinking about what workout could be called Gen X. As a member of that generation, I’m thinking maybe the ones with the industrial sets and lighting, like the Gin Miller step workout or Karen Voight’s Strong and Smooth Moves. They seemed so cool at the time. Does other Gen Xers agree? Any other ideas?
Sarah O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-21, 07:54 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Maybe Tae Bo?
Old 03-03-21, 09:02 PM  
wendug

I agree about the videos with industrial sets and lighting being Gen X workouts. The Gin Miller Step Reebok workout specifically where there's crazy camera angles and instead of showing her speaking directly on film there's a wall of tvs with her giving instructions. Yep, Gen X workout.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRLLH3aPagk&t=1449s

Also, I think of Crunch workouts, too. Their intro has the same choppy industrial film effects.
Old 03-03-21, 10:01 PM  
mamaste

The Cindy Crawford workout to The Grind workout.
Old 03-03-21, 10:14 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaste View Post
The Cindy Crawford workout to The Grind workout.
Yes, I thought of The Grind workouts after I posted
Old 03-04-21, 01:11 AM  
Sand

I totally forgot about Crunch! Was it Lifetime that used to air them?

I would think pink box FIRM, Mari Winsor pilates and Barre workout DVDs would be younger Gen X/older Millenials.
Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 11:08 AM  
kat999

After having just watched the new Real World season 1 reunion miniseries' first episode last night, I would definitely say that The Grind Workout is a 100% Gen X workout. I never owned it or tried it, but even just the clips they showed of it brought back memories of commercials and seeing bits of the show. But the FIRM ladies are all mostly younger Gen X/older millennials themselves, so I would say especially from the TransFIRMer era onward are very much Gen X workouts, even if they didn't have the industrial aesthetic.

Jari Love has a newer workout that she called Boomers, and while it's technically gentler, I cannot imagine actual people in the Baby Boomer generation being able to do it unless they are already very fit. It is definitely more for people who are currently in their 40s-60s, most of whom would technically be Gen X, not Boomers.
Old 03-05-21, 02:25 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I agree Tae Bo, Crunch and the industrial-set workouts are very Gen-X. ESPN2 used to show workouts all morning in the 90's - Crunch, Fitness Pros, Bodyshaping, Step Reebok. Also P90X and Zumba blew up around the time Gen Xers hit middle age.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 02:35 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
I agree Tae Bo, Crunch and the industrial-set workouts are very Gen-X. ESPN2 used to show workouts all morning in the 90's - Crunch, Fitness Pros, Bodyshaping, Step Reebok. Also P90X and Zumba blew up around the time Gen Xers hit middle age.
I am 41 (born in 1979) and at the tail end of Gen X, so P90X and Zumba came out when I was around mid-20s. But someone 15 years older than I am (still Gen X) was the age I am now! Kinda crazy how we are all supposed to have the same frame of reference by being part of the same generation. I don't consider someone 15 years my junior to be in the same generation, but if I had been born a year or two later, I'd be considered a millenial along with those currently in their mid/late 20s.
Old 03-05-21, 03:13 PM  
laurajhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendug View Post
Also, I think of Crunch workouts, too. Their intro has the same choppy industrial film effects.
I thought of Crunch right away! They've got that nightclub-health club vibe.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
retro workouts