Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-03-21, 10:11 AM  
TracyQ

While working from home and then retiring in November I have more time to stretch after my workouts. I always loved stretching but not enough to cut my workouts short in order to have time to stretch properly. I’ve been adding at least a half hour stretch to my workouts on most days.

Not a habit per se but I started doing puzzles when I retired in November. I hadn’t done one for decades and am thoroughly enjoying them. It’s the only thing besides working out, walking (while listening to a good book or podcast) and playing with my dog where I get so engaged that I lose track of time. For me it’s a great stress buster.

Summer Breeze—my deepest condolences.

Leonana—thanks again for posting that book recommendation. I know we discussed it before on the check in. I have it in my cart at Amazon.

I was just telling my DH about Sherry’s husband passing and how many parents VF’ers have lost this year. We lost my FIL in April. 2020 was a very sad year.

To everyone who has lost someone I wish you peace and happiness in 2021.

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 10:49 AM  
Mopsy
VF Supporter

I'm getting better at keeping my kitchen a little tidier and cleaner. There's still plenty of room for improvement, but it's not so cringeworthy if someone stops by (not that anybody's stopping by, but I'm happy with it). The other rooms still need work.

One of last year's resolutions was to spend less time on the computer, then a pandemic hit and, well, that went out the window. Being retired, I had plenty of time to develop all sorts of good habits and routines. I started off pretty well, then as time dragged on and no perceivable incentive, I slid back. Nothing terrible, just mundane.

I do try to get out almost every day for fresh air and change of scene and sometimes that brings out some nice unexpected conversations with neighbors who are doing the same. I eat pretty well, but I'm trying to cook a little more. I have some bad TMJ disfunction and still looking for interesting varieties of bean soup

Seeing my mother stuck in her assisted living place has encouraged me to explore possible hobbies. She's always been active, but with no real hobbies, and now she's suffering because she can't get out and walk, and she's bored.
Old 01-03-21, 10:35 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I'm so sorry for the loss of your dh. My anxiety became worse after losing my dog in a dog attack. It's not the same as a spouse, but I can relate a bit. The anxiety became worse when I experienced a tragedy I couldn't prevent.

Here is the Amazon link to the workbook. It has a LOT of worksheets, and I didn't do all of them. It really goes into depth and takes quite a bit of time to complete. But it does an excellent job explaining how anxiety affects our brains, and how changing our thoughts changes our brains. The worksheets at the beginning of the book helped me to pinpoint my areas of anxiety. I kind of skipped the worksheets in the last few chapters, but I still learned enough from the workbook to manage my anxiety day to day. I think even if you just read the chapters, you can still get a lot out of it. A friend told me that one of the authors of the workbook was instrumental in forming the guidelines for anxiety groups, and the group she attended.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/16...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also found this book helpful, although it focuses more on CBT and depression.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/03...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have the first book you listed and also found it helpful (it was recommended to me by a professional). You are right about the quantity of worksheets though! I think I ended up picking and choosing which ones I thought would be most helpful because I was stressing myself out so badly with my thinking I had to DO THEM ALL.

If anyone is suffering more specifically from panic disorder (I realize panic disorder hasn't been brought up, but in case anyone is lurking and could use a book more specific to panic disorder, panic attacks, agoraphobia, etc.), I highly recommend this workbook:
Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic: Workbook (Treatments That Work) 4th Edition
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195311353

You can access the worksheets from the workbook I linked to above for free here (but the worksheets are a bit more useful I think if you use them in conjunction with reading the book step by step):

https://www.oxfordclinicalpsych.com/...58-appendix-10

My doctor and I cannot figure out why this workbook is more expensive compared to other anxiety workbooks (I think I paid just under $40 for it), but I found it worth the cost since it is tailored specifically to those suffering primarily from panic disorder and its associated symptoms.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-21, 11:53 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Not a habit but I've gotten back into sewing after decades and have been making quilts. It's been great for my anxiety and best of all, is teaching me to be patient.

In December, I started meditating every day again, a habit I intend to keep.I discovered some pilates workouts specifically for scoliosis and I intend to continue doing one a day.
Sewing sounds wonderful. I’ve often thought I should learn how to do it. I need to do more meditation, it also helps me feel more calm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Sherry - thank you for posting that book again - I think you had posted it in our check in as well. My DD has social anxiety and has seen a coach for it - I think this would help her as well. I do remember when you lost your dog, and I just can't imagine the trauma of seeing something like that happen.

2020 was a very sad year - I know of at least three people IRL who have recently died suddenly - two co-workers and a man from church. My mom also passed away in 2020, but that was not totally unexpected as she was in failing health for many months prior, but it was still not expected at the time.

Donna
Both books did a great job addressing social anxiety. I hope it helps her.
Old 01-03-21, 11:54 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Thank you so much Sherry. I put both those books in my cart. They look like they would be very helpful to me.

And I'm so sorry about your poor dog. That sounds very traumatic. I'm glad you found some help for your anxiety with the workbook.

Thank you to everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It's very much appreciated.
You’re welcome. And thank you for the kind words.
Old 01-03-21, 11:59 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
I have the first book you listed and also found it helpful (it was recommended to me by a professional). You are right about the quantity of worksheets though! I think I ended up picking and choosing which ones I thought would be most helpful because I was stressing myself out so badly with my thinking I had to DO THEM ALL.

If anyone is suffering more specifically from panic disorder (I realize panic disorder hasn't been brought up, but in case anyone is lurking and could use a book more specific to panic disorder, panic attacks, agoraphobia, etc.), I highly recommend this workbook:
Mastery of Your Anxiety and Panic: Workbook (Treatments That Work) 4th Edition
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0195311353

You can access the worksheets from the workbook I linked to above for free here (but the worksheets are a bit more useful I think if you use them in conjunction with reading the book step by step):

https://www.oxfordclinicalpsych.com/...58-appendix-10

My doctor and I cannot figure out why this workbook is more expensive compared to other anxiety workbooks (I think I paid just under $40 for it), but I found it worth the cost since it is tailored specifically to those suffering primarily from panic disorder and its associated symptoms.
I’m glad I’m not the only one who found the worksheets overwhelming! That’s great that the panic disorder workbook allows you to access the worksheets online. I wish the anxiety workbook had done the same. It wasn’t easy trying to copy them. I couldn’t understand why they didn’t do something like that, since they seemed to expect you to do so many of them.

Thanks for the link. I did have a few panic attacks, but fortunately they seem to subside once my anxiety was more under control.
Old 01-04-21, 09:15 AM  
BunnyHop

Thanks to everyone for sharing their suggestions on workbooks for anxiety.

The work I've done to manage my depression seems to have made a huge difference, but I'm still prone to anxiety and I'm looking for ways to continue improving my skills managing that as well.

Hobby-wise, I rediscovered my sewing machine so I could make some masks and wound up getting back in to sewing. I made some masks, but once I used up the fabric I had in the house, I started browsing youtube and a quilting video inspired me to buy some fabric and give it a try. I've made two small quilts and some tote bags so far. Just last night I started a new project using a strip tube ruler. So much fun, and it makes me feel so brilliant! I assume all that delight is good for my psyche, so I plan to keep it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsim View Post
At age 63 I am finally learning to cook with the help of my husband.
Every Friday night I make a vegetarian dish which is a win for the both of us.
I've been doing what I can to improve my ability to cook for one. It's much harder than it seems, especially when it comes to fresh vegetables. Not getting out to the market very often is only part of it though, so I obviously have a lot to learn.

Last spring when I started obsessively watching videos on youtube, I had no idea that they'd do me so much good.

I managed to combine my new journaling habit with my cooking goals and made a separate notebook for recipes that I keep right by the computer. It's been so handy to just reach for that when I want to try something new. Whatever system I used to use didn't work nearly this well.

The only other hobby I've neglected is my jigsaw puzzles. My card table is doing double duty in the sewing room, so I need to find a new place to play. Puzzles can be so peaceful.
Old 01-04-21, 10:31 AM  
leigh1673

I'm still not doing it as consistently as I should but I finally started a meditation practice. It really helps to ground me and when I start getting anxious about the state of the world in general.

I discovered Ballet Physique Streaming (LOVE!) and have been more consistent than ever with barre workouts.
leigh1673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 11:07 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I got good at keeping up with UnF*** Your Habitat but slacked off when the days got darker. I still kept up better than pre-UFYH. I keep a chart in the kitchen with a daily task list and more often then not have been checking off at least two items.

Now that the holidays are over I'll be getting serious with the program again.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-21, 01:16 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I got good at keeping up with UnF*** Your Habitat but slacked off when the days got darker. I still kept up better than pre-UFYH. I keep a chart in the kitchen with a daily task list and more often then not have been checking off at least two items.

Now that the holidays are over I'll be getting serious with the program again.
I google'd it. Looks like a good plan!
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anxiety, habits