Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-20, 08:19 PM  
Tammie M

OT - Pneumonia Shots

If you have had the pneumonia shots, please share your experience. Are they as rough as the shingrix vaccine shots? Did you get flu like symptons? My husband's doctor is recommending he have them.
Tammie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-20, 08:33 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

i've had the first pneumonia shot - doc said that the 2nd one is after age 65.

i've had both shingrix shots - the second of the 2 taken this past January.

the 2 shingrix shots knocked me out in the sense that i had a slight fever and luckily timed both near a long weekend/holiday to recover. recovery included taking naps and the occasional ibuprofen.

pneumonia had less of an impact than shingrix in my case. i take the flu shot every year and the pneumonia shot was a little more sore than those.

in order of discomfort, from least to more, 1 being least, 10 being most:

annual flu shot: 1-2
pneumonia: 4
both shingrix: 8

when covid was raging earlier this year, i asked my doc for the pneumonia shot as a precaution - pneumonia would compound the effects of covid, obviously.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-20, 01:40 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

A few years ago, I let myself get rundown, and ended up with shaking chills and a high fever. I went to the ER where I was diagnosed with pneumonia, and had to have IV antibiotics to fight it. Not a pleasant experience, get the shots, I did after that.
Old 10-15-20, 05:08 PM  
Tammie M

bzar, thanks for the shot comparison. My husband is scheduled to have a tetanus, flu and first pneumonia shot one day next week. I hope he can handle all of those at once. I prefer to space mine out.

Jane, I'm sorry to hear you that you had pneumonia. I know it can be very dangerous. I'm glad you are fully recovered.
Tammie M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-20, 09:58 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

Zero, zero side effects with either pneumonia shot, we got the second one this past February. The only vaccine I've had side effects from was shingles, fever and chills after the first one, took Tylenol before and 4 hours after the second one and zero side effects. I don't call a slightly sore area where the injection was given a side effect. MUCH preferable to actually getting pneumoccal pneumonia.

Tammie, your husband should be fine getting those. The tetanus (which is actually tetanus, whooping cough, and diphtheria) shot can cause some arm soreness but never had any effects from those. I'll be due for a booster next year.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-20, 11:05 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

spacing it out - Walmart was willing to give me 2 shots of my choice instead of 3. this way, they could give one shot in one arm and a different shot in the other arm. i ended up with shingrix #1 and a tetanus shot. later on, i got the pneumonia shot from my doctor at his office.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pneumonia, vaccinations, vaccines