Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-02-20, 10:50 AM  
bubbles76

Scorpio, you mean Misty Tripoli? I thought she was of African or Caribbean heritage. Lots of people in my family look like her and I am of African/Caribbean/Native American heritage. All mixed up.

Also, I can really work up a sweat with Body Groove! Well, the dvds anyway, maybe the subscription is different. Ugh, maybe I shouldn't comment here, because I don't have the subscription, but the dvds really do work me. Maybe I'm just a wild dancer or have more room to move than most. I appreciate Body Groove dvds because I can get a good workout without killing my knees, and it has really good music.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-20, 07:24 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I am sorry to go off topic, but do you have favorite Body Project workouts? I was going to try them on you tube. Do you subscribe to their site? Thank you!
I responded under your thread but yes, I subscribed for a year. Works out to be about $10/month which is a good deal, given the amount of content they offer. My favorite workouts are Hot Legs, Squats vs Burpess, and a lot of the Alex v Daniels. Avid All Standing is great, too. There's one where Daniel has a sock in his sweatpants (no not like that!) that comes out his leg opening during the workout. One of the laundry states faux pas---he is completely unaware.
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-20, 07:33 AM  
suzannaerin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
I just canceled my automatic renewal on the streaming. For whatever reason, I cannot get past that woman's African braids and she's Caucasian. I also don't think the workouts really qualify as a workout to me, they're more like just fooling around bc today is an off day.
Is this true? Cultural misappropriation is a serious accusation (there was just a case of this at GWU here in DC.),. I'm not trying to stir up sXXX, just curious where you heard that.
Old 09-06-20, 12:55 PM  
Scorpio6

Cultural appropriation:
Tripoli is an Italian name, to my knowledge, unless it's made up which I don't believe it is, I think it is a real name.

I'm a subscriber that has canceled my subscription, so this was not something I heard somewhere, I keep seeing her in these African braids and she looks Caucasian. That is a big disconnect for me and I simply can't get past it.
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-20, 01:45 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
Avid All Standing is great, too. There's one where Daniel has a sock in his sweatpants (no not like that!) .
I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything, cause it would be all over my laptop!

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-20, 03:46 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Cultural appropriation:
Tripoli is an Italian name, to my knowledge, unless it's made up which I don't believe it is, I think it is a real name.

I'm a subscriber that has canceled my subscription, so this was not something I heard somewhere, I keep seeing her in these African braids and she looks Caucasian. That is a big disconnect for me and I simply can't get past it.
Hi,

are you talking about Misty? Her hair looks like Rastafarian dreads to me. I used to have them. However I do wear braids also, otherwise I would be sporting an afro.

My heritage is also caribbean.

some of my family look like her also. I always thought she was dual heritage, not Caucasian only.
Anyway I like her workouts and I do not mind her either.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 10:26 AM  
suzannaerin

Misti--in her workouts--hasn't mentioned her heritage or (to my limited knowledge) used it as a marketing tool.

An example of misappropriation is the "professor" at GWU who pretended to be a black person (Jessica Krug) or Rachel Dolezal.
Old 09-07-20, 11:50 AM  
Fitstick

I don’t use the streaming but I have the HIIT and Fit workout DVDs. My intention was to buy these so I have something different I can use every once in awhile. I would not subscribe because I wouldn’t workout to these regularly. You can do what they are doing in the workout or you can do your own thing, production value is excellemt and there are a variety of body shapes and sizes doing the workouts. There are times during the workout when you can free dance for a few minutes. They are fun for variety but I wouldn’t do them regularly like I would Cathe’s workouts.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 04:53 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Misti--in her workouts--hasn't mentioned her heritage or (to my limited knowledge) used it as a marketing tool.

An example of misappropriation is the "professor" at GWU who pretended to be a black person (Jessica Krug) or Rachel Dolezal.
Yes
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-20, 05:26 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:

Thank you! I know Misty lived in the Caribbean for a while, so perhaps she adopted the braids while she lived there. Or perhaps she is of Caribbean ancestry. The point is, we really don't know because she hasn't tried to exploit it.

Carol
txhsmom is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
body groove, misty tripoli