Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-12, 06:40 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by violingal3 View Post
So sad, but I agree that it's a very courageous thing for the family to bring this out into the open and create awareness.
ITA. I hope they can find peace, and some comfort in knowing his legacy affected (and will keep affecting) so many.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 06:49 PM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirlinFl888 View Post
I suffer from depression and the only reason I am here is because of my children.
That's what my (now ABSOLUTELY healed from depression) family members say. You can get out of there, I know that for a fact, and what I've seen is most effective is love and new, meaningful relationships.
Old 04-02-12, 06:53 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

How terribly sad. I'm in tears for him and his family. I can't imagine the pain he must've suffered for 40+ years. Yet such a disconnect from his public persona. It's scary that someone who was so encouraging and kind could be in so much pain he would take his own life.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 07:18 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I figured this was the case and, sad as it is, I'm glad Sean's family has opened up.

As someone who suffers periodically from depression (though thankfully not to the point of considering suicide) I truly appreciate the pain involved, both his and theirs. I'm sure his soul is at peace now, and I hope they're able to eventually find some peace as well.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 07:34 PM  
obrn

My mom killed herself when I was 30. (I'm 52 now). Lots of similarities: very vibrant, giving and capable. People on the outside were shocked and never would have suspected it. She struggled for years, but covered beautifully and very few people had any idea.

Sean's family has a lonnnnnnnng road ahead of them. They're in my prayers, because I've been there. I miss my mother every day. She died before my youngest was born, my boys were too young to remember her. It gets easier and you find a way to get through.

The best thing to say to someone who's lost a loved one to suicide is "I'm sorry." Keep checking in on them. It's hard to talk about for everyone involved, but we need to speak the truth in order to have some peace.
Old 04-02-12, 07:39 PM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by obrn View Post
It's hard to talk about for everyone involved, but we need to speak the truth in order to have some peace.
You are a strong person. I was very saddened to read your story. Not being able to properly say goodbye is haunting. You should be proud of yourself. Thank you for sharing
Old 04-02-12, 07:40 PM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I was on the verge of suicide when my marriage broke up, but in the end I decided the X wasn't worth it. Let me tell you though, it is a long dark tunnel that you have to crawl through to get back to finding any joy in life again.
I agree. I am so glad you are out of that dark pit. I am sure that you see that person today and think to yourself, what was I thinking?
Old 04-02-12, 08:04 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolGirlinFl888 View Post
I suffer from depression and the only reason I am here is because of my children. Many times I thought of taking my own life and in my early 20s I tried it but failed. I am in therapy now and I still cry during the meetings. I can absolutely understand the feeling of hopelessness and despair. I do not know Coach Sean or heard of him but I am saddened to hear this news but as someone who has been there, I do understand. I just hope he is in peace now.
Coolgirl, I wish you the very best in your struggle. Keep up the good fight, girl. (((((Coolgirl)))))

I am so sad about Sean. Bless his heart. I hope he is at peace.

My deepest sympathies to all of you who struggle with depression or have lost family members to depression. It is so hard... It is unfathomable.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 08:42 PM  
Cammie-Cam

Oh wow. This is really sad. I don't even know what to say. I've had my own struggles with depression in the past, and although I was not at a point where I considered taking my own life, I do remember those feelings of loneliness, worthlessness, sadness. Sometimes it seemed like things would never get better... but I always believed that they would, and got the help that I needed to get myself better mentally AND eventually physically, which is why I'm here at VF. I'm so sad that Sean wasn't able to realize that things DO get better. I wish he knew how many people he inspired every day. I wish him a peaceful journey and I hope that his family will be able to heal in time from this awful tragedy.
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-12, 08:42 PM  
mountaingal

May Sean rest in peace.

His family will continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

Cynthia
mountaingal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cardio coach, coach sean, depression