Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-07-21, 03:00 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post
Alison – Lunchtime runs in the summer – I get the underboob sweat just thinking about it. Good thing you have your bike & rower as added options if it’s too hot to go outside. You sound like you have a good grasp of the rowing stroke basics already. It took me at least two months to integrate some rowing basics into my stroke, but you are well ahead of my timeline. I did a Burke Lake run on Sunday morning and kept my eyes open looking for you.
I’ve been rowing twice a week since the end of January, so I’m about on the same track for progress. I also rowed a lot a bunch of years back when I was teaching Spin classes for Mason’s rowing team. I got one of them to help me out, and while it didn’t come back right away, it did come back. I was out of town Sunday, so I missed Burke Lake. Hopefully the rain will hold off this weekend!

I had a bad allergy attack yesterday and then woke up today with a horrible headache, but I tried Pilates and yoga anyways. It did not go well. But I felt better by lunchtime and had a good Power Zone ride with Denis.

Spinervals: I have a lot of them (nowhere near as many as Daphne), but I rarely use them anymore. I still like the ones with some of the Ravens in it, but I think they’re out of print.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 04:48 PM  
Vantreesta

I think the big temptation with the Spinervals is FOMO and knowing DVDs are on their way out more than the workouts themselves!

I have been very tempted by the Peleton app (am I the only one who gets highly motivated by the commercials without ever having even seen an actual workout??) but I've held back since all I have is my phone. However, now that I have MLB TV app I am very motivated to find out if I can get it to play on my gym TV so I can watch baseball while on the bike or pick-your-machine so if I can figure that out then maybe I could try Peleton. Thank you for saying they are still not requiring any personal info for the free trial bc I have been wondering about that. Requiring that would be a deal breaker for me.

I better go spend time with my bubby before grief group tonight. I was gone to lunch with friends for a few hours and he had to howl at the tornado siren without me! He needs some loving before he sleeps through group.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 04:49 PM  
Vantreesta

Oh, and I keep meaning to say, Alison, I am so impressed by your box jumps! I want to do them but all I can picture is the box flying out from under me!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 04-08-21, 12:59 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Oh, and I keep meaning to say, Alison, I am so impressed by your box jumps! I want to do them but all I can picture is the box flying out from under me!
Thanks! I do get a little scared with each jump! I upped it to 16” today since I was able to go outside. That was HARD, so I think I’ll be there a while. People I knew kept walking by too. I live on a corner, so our backyard doesn’t have much privacy.

Today was intervals day, so I did Bradley’s 20-min HIIT ride (which I really liked), Mike and Sera Moon’s 10-min interval row (also really liked), 15-min ladder/hurdle/box jump intervals, and :5 boxing. I also lifted this morning and did abs. Yes, I’m exhausted now! And yes, my legs are burning.
Old 04-09-21, 06:32 PM  
Vantreesta

We had about a week of 70s and even got to at least 84 one day but back in the 50s for a while and it has been rainy this week. I've been dealing with foot pain at the base of the fifth metatarsal. I'm hoping I haven't let it go too long and caused any damage. I'm pretty sure it's an issue of mechanics and shoes. In the fall I put off getting new walking shoes and then forgot about needing new ones until I walked a week or two rotating old ones and my feet started hurting. I bought a new pair this week. The pain is mostly just my right foot, which is also the one that has had tarsal tunnel syndrome and the worse of the two for plantar fasciitis in the past. I'll get arch support insoles for my new shoes and start doing Jill Miller's foot exercises to strengthen my feet after not walking barefoot all winter. I have a chiro appt this week and will talk to him about it. He has adjusted that ankle for me each year when I start running outside again. This is the first year it hasn't felt jammed resuming street running and I wonder if the jumping rope helped that.

I don't remember when i lasted posted workouts. There have been too many light and rest days. Last wknd we played D&D on Saturday and on Sunday I helped those same friends with moving, even though it was Easter. Monday I know I ran and did my Caroline Jordan and Helen Clare warmup and cooldown, and I think I did Kassandra's yoga. Tuesday I think I just did Kassandra's AM and PM yoga challenges. Wednesday I went to my friend's for lunch and we sat and gabbed for three hours and then I had grief group so no workouts at all that day. Yesterday I did glute activation, SUAT workout 5, Triple Threat Running upper body (a virgin that didn't super impress me but my chest and shoulders are sore today) and Kassandra's AM yoga and day 25 of Lesley Fightmaster beginner's challenge. Today I did Kassandra's AM yoga and then got groceries. I don't know how the days go by so fast. The only tri training I have done this week was the run.

Old 04-11-21, 01:40 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: I hope your foot pain goes away quickly. Foot pain is no fun!

Workouts:

Friday: Active recovery day. Rode an easy 30-minute Ben ride, did Earth Body Yoga, and walked to the grocery store and back. Twice. Because I realized as I got to the door that I forgot a mask. Luckily I don’t live very far from it.

Saturday: AOS Providence kettlebells, 30-minute Leanne ride, 30-minute Sam ride live (number 200! And got to 3K minutes!), 5-min Bradley cool down, 5-min Ben core.

Sunday: Ran 4.5 miles around Lake Mercer plus a little more. Beautiful morning for a run, except a little humid. It rained all night, so we didn’t want to do our normal lake, which already was full of mud and puddles.
Old 04-12-21, 08:58 AM  
Daphne M

Vannie - Ouch on the metatarsal pain. I use Currex insoles that have arch support for the transverse arch (under metatarsals) for that reason. They really help me, but YMMV. I understand FOMO of DVDs! I use Peloton on my phone when I'm on the treadmill and I mirror it to my TV and wear my wireless earbuds when I'm on the bike. It works great -- just an HDMI cable at one end and the USB connector for my Samsung phone at the other end. I also love how portable the app makes my fitness -- I can take it with me anywhere and still have thousands of different workouts at my fingertips.

Alison - LOL at the two trips to the grocery store. I'm impressed that you didn't drive for the 2nd trip. I just missed you at Mercer! I ran there on Saturday morning. Very misty and my hair was soaked with it by the end. It's so fun to see the buds and blossoming appearing. I parked at South Run and it was jamming! Two outdoor yoga classes, at least 20 people + dogs at the outdoor obedience class, 3 dogs in the agility rink, and hundreds of adults and kids on the soccer fields. So different than it was just two weeks ago. The world is coming back.

Me - I can't remember when I last checked in. Here goes:

Thursday - Run 3 miles + 10 minute Cody Low Impact ride + post-ride stretch with Bradley.
Friday - I walked 2 miles in the morning. I intended to do an afternoon workout but I ended up snacking instead.
Saturday - Run 5 miles (South Run/Lake Mercer + a little extra leg) + 30 minute Peloton Pop Ride with Bradley + 20 minutes Hydrow rowing (a DRIVE with Nick). Lots of energy today.
Sunday - 45 minute Peloton tread rock bootcamp with Selena. (I did not like the music -- I should have known when I saw it started with Helter Skelter that it would be a miss for me.) + 20 minute Peloton Low Impact ride with Ally. (This one had great music from Rent, Hamilton, etc. and made up for the Helter Skelter workout.) + 10 minute Peloton core with Emma + 20 minute Hydrow restorative hips yoga with Channing. This was a great yoga session.
Today - 30 minute row on Hydrow including 20 minute "4 in 1" with Nick, James, Dani and Laine. I loved this workout! Really great format. 14/10, highly recommend. + 1 mile run outside + 20 minute Peloton country ride with Ally + 5 minute Emma core + 5 minute Rebecca K stretch.

Boom! Gotta run.
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-21, 03:55 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Hi all, I've completely fallen off everything because the whole family has been sick. I went for my lovely long hike Saturday 4/4 and then came home to a coughing DH. He was outside all day and it was windy so he figured it was allergies. He got tested Tuesday and got the result back Wednesday--COVID. The kids and I got tested and got our results Thursday.

I'd gotten my first shot but it hadn't taken effect, so we've all been home. DD's swab apparently fell out of her vial so we don't know her results. Because she hasn't had symptoms, we've kept her separate. She missed her state gymnastics meet, and today is her birthday. She's spending it mostly in her room. I did decorate her door and got some fancy cookies delivered.

I've been mad at DH because I'm 99% sure he got it and had been refusing to get the vaccine (he only wanted the J&J which has been tough to come by). And of course he keeps saying we don't KNOW that's how we got it.

I took Thursday and Friday off work. We all have different symptoms coming and going. I've had fever, chills, cough, congestion. DH and DS had really bad sore throats. DS and I both had body aches.

I am working today but fortunately other than two phone calls, not much to do.

No idea when I'll work out again. The COVID fatigue is real! I'm told it could take up to a month to recover.

Sorry for the bummer drive-by, just wanted to check-in at least.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-21, 04:36 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Popping in

Pratima: I sure hope that all the other tests come back negative and that dh's case is not severe. I will be thinking of you and your family. I am so sorry.

Sending virtual {{ hugs }} and warm thoughts!

Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-21, 07:17 AM  
Vantreesta

Just saying hello. I knew this week would be a tough one but I just don't feel like chatting. Yesterday was my parents' anniversary, today is a year since my mom went into the hospital and tmrw is a year that she's been gone. I feel so guilty that I'm at home instead of with my dad for this.

Sunday I made myself do a 30 minute Leslie. Yesterday I did Kassandra's AM yoga day 6, Jill's feet & ankles 10 min quick fix, Caroline's HHT exercises, Helen's piriformis exercises, ran 1.2 mi in the cold wind (it was a compromise btwn doing the planned 10k session and nothing) and finished with Helen's post-run routine. Sounds like a lot but each thing was under 15 min.

Pratima, I hope you all recover quickly and fully.

Tags
endurance