Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-01-21, 01:44 PM  
Vantreesta

Happy Baseball Opening Day! I am super excited to watch my guys in regular season play again! We already had our 3B come out of the game in the 1st inning, though, so that's nerve-wracking given he missed half of last season with a calf injury.

I'm starting off the month with a negative covid test, thankfully. I was sure it would be but my sinuses or allergies or whatever it is I deal with fall through spring have been worse the last few days so I figured the responsible thing was to get tested just in case. I had more headaches and worse fatigue in March than the previous months and still feel tired but relieved by the confirmation it isn't covid. My dad wants me to go see my doctor but I'm going to bargain with him to see how this month goes with truly sincere efforts to go to bed earlier and improve my sleep. I told him March is always a very rough month for me and then I just kind of snap out of it. I also wasn't as good last month about taking all my supplements and I didn't have my usual magnesium bc GNC supposedly was out for over two months. They finally shipped and should be here in the next couple days. I also got out of my chamomile tea habit, which really does seem to help so my focus this month will be primarily sleep.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 08:49 AM  
Daphne M

Vannie - Congrats on your negative COVID test. That's a relief for sure. Our opening day (Mets v. Nats) got postponed, major bummer. Hopefully everyone will be healthy and ready to go when they get it rescheduled.

Alison - I am so disappointed to hear that the Hydrow app does not have a countdown clock. I understand why they don't have the metrics for those using the app without a connected rowing machine, but there's no reason they couldn't have a clock going. It's a real contrast with the peloton app, which has several nice features even though it doesn't have all the metrics. I highly recommend that you check out the Hydrow warm-ups and cooldowns, because they are loaded with good technical training pointers. There's also a 6-week beginners training camp, which is a good place to start. I'm not sure if they have all the different training camps on the app, but I can DM or email you the workouts if you wanted to sample.

My top tier athletes are Nick and Laine, but I just mesh with their personalities. You really can't go wrong with any of them. (Except maybe Michelle who is delightful but can get too hyped up and start rowing faster and faster, which makes it hard to stay in rhythm with her.) They are all funny and self-deprecating and have amazing life stories. And they all have pretty amazing rowing pedigrees. (Olympics, Paralympics, National Championships, World Championships, national/international triathletes, etc.)
Based on the Hydrow Facebook group I joined, many people that come from Peloton seem to gravitate first to Dani and then branch out. IMO, James has the hardest workouts, because he is the king of slow rhythms and high power output (watts). It wears me out!

Rowing never seems hard in the beginning. Every new rower to join the Hydrow Facebook group says the same things: "I can't get my HR up, this doesn't seem that hard, how high should I put my resistance?" We beginner rowers always try to make it harder by rowing faster or adding resistance instead of rowing stronger/better. Faster stroke rates will get your heart rate up, but you're also shortening your stroke and probably picking up bad form habits. Over time as you get stronger, your HR will be plenty high. We also think to make it harder by adding drag/resistance and that unfortunately just over-emphasizes the arms at the expense of the bigger/stronger muscles in your legs.

One of my favorite links on training on indoor rower is this one with Olympic rower Matt Miller demonstrates good ergometer form

Oops, I need to get back to work!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Sneaking up on the next event
Daphne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 09:04 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vanntreesta: So glad you test was negative! Like Daphne said, we didn’t get Nationals yesterday, but I did get to see the Pirates beat the Cubs on TV, so double bonus. Sorry to any Cubs fans out there, but my brother and dad both coached Ian Happ, and now they’re all Cubs, all the time, to the point it feels like Ian’s more of a family member than I am!

Daphne: I think the Hydrow workout I did was just different from the Apple Fitness+ rowing ones, because the Apple ones felt much harder. It might also be me not having the metrics. I’ll get used to it. I’ll try a mat one on Sunday.

Pratima: I’d take some of your warm weather about now! I sent Megan out to coach (soccer spring break camp) in 28-degree weather this morning. Hope you’re getting some good hiking in. In theory, I should be able to get the vaccine toward the end of this month. Here’s hoping!

Mollie: I hope you’re doing well out there!

Today: I had to do tomorrow’s planned workout today, and tomorrow will be my rest day. So I did a 45-minute Bradley Peloton ride, which wasn’t as enjoyable as the 30-minute one I did but still was good. I think I’ll stick with short rides with him and keep with Sam and Denis for the longer ones. Then I did 30 minutes of TRX/glider/BOSU/sandbag work and 10 minutes of abs. I’m finally getting somewhere with a one-legged squat. It’s far from an actual one-legged squat, but it’s progress. I’m making very little progress on good pushups though, but I’m still working at it.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-21, 12:21 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

End of April works for me!

Alison, you must try iFit! Even with the app, you do get a timer. I did a bike bootcamp on it last week and that was helpful. It's supposed to be 91 today! Air is really dry so I'm sure better than 91 there, but I am not ready! I can't even imagine looking at colleges. I'm still sorting out DD's middle school situation and that's stressful enough right now.

Daphne, I agree about rowing not seeming tough at first. Part if it for me was the workouts I chose. Dark Horse showed me good form but was a little monotonous. The iFit outdoor rows I did initially were pretty mellow. That bootcamp was awesome--lots of variety so I understood all the variety rowing can have.

Vantreesta, I got tested last week too because I've had sinus stuff forever. Also negative, and also debating whether to possibly see an allergist or ENT. This happens to me every year! The allergist suggested upping my medication but it doesn't help. I'm wondering if an ENT might have a different idea.

I am SO OVER appointments though. I took DD to 5 appointments for her wrist (three with one ortho, one with a PT, and another with a different ortho). DH has taken DS to his 2 appointments for his arm, and there's one more on 4/15.

DD says her knee is bugging her. Sounds like potentially another stress fracture. She agreed to skip practice Wed. and says she'll go tonight and limit impact. She has her state meet Friday 4/9 (yup, during the day, missing school) and regionals on 4/30. I think we can get her through all that, possibly fit in a doctor's appointment later this month.

Workouts--this week was weird. I was SO tired, probably partially because the sinus thing makes me have trouble sleeping. I also got my unwelcome monthly visitor Monday and I feel like my hormones are a little out of whack.

Monday - iFit rowing bootcamp (row + bodyweight exercises)
Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - iFit spin + upper body weight
Thursday - 2.5 mile run with Peloton audio
Friday - rowing bootcamp

Have a 7ish mile hike planned tomorrow. I've run the trail two or three times but never hiked it. I'm actually a little intimidated by that because it'll take longer and will heat up pretty good by the time we finish. Looking forward to seeing a couple of MRTT ladies and breakfast afterward.

Anyone have Easter plans? I bought some candy and such to fill eggs with but have been annoyed with my kids this week and haven't filled them yet. We aren't Christian and don't celebrate Easter, but DD was born on Easter Sunday and LOVES egg hunts. Last year her birthday was on Easter again and of course during quarantine so I set up a great egg hunt. Will try to get myself together to set one up this time.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-21, 07:05 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Need an arrow so I can track this thread quickly!!!!

So I'll pop in ....

Yep Daphne --- Alison is right - there is no countdown timer on the Hydrow App. I sort of look at my clock and do the calculations in my head as I'm rowing. Or listen for their cues. But I so enjoy the app, I let it go!!!

Keep Talking up the Ifit App ~ I'm "this" close to trying it free for the month. (but I'm too involved with too many other challenges to give it a fair month).

It took 2 months for rowing to click for me. Two months of hard work and constant form checking and working it. I also belong to a private group where they do group classes and found out that one of my Pokemon Go friends from another state is a Concept 2 certified instructor. HOLY MOLY!!! So I went to her for many, MANY questions in the beginning. Once it clicked it really did! Oh yeah .... 'nuff said.

Oh and everybody has their favorite instructors. I honestly think mine is: Aquil. He is so awesome (for me) and is constantly going over form pointers and not quite so much story telling (although there is some). He seems so humble and so kind. Then it's probably Dani because of her silly jokes, her laugh and sense of humor. Is it Laine with the mid western accent? I dunno. I really enjoy them all. (Agree with all Daphne said about Michelle though. I don't reach for her workouts too often.) But often times I feel OLD when they tell their stories. Someone was telling a story about a stereo his father had and how they weren't allowed to turn the volume up past 2 (or was it 3?) and Don't do it or they'd blow the speakers. LOL. as he explained the stereo set up -- not only did we have one that sounded identical! WE STILL DO and I believe "blowing the speakers" is a very REAL thing. Oh -- it was the latest Queen ride. . .

Ok, back to my lurkdom.
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-21, 07:03 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Pratima: I keep getting iFit ads in my Instagram feed now. It does look interesting. Do I need yet another subscription? No. Am I considering it? Absolutely!

Hydrow: I did a 15-minute Maroon 5 row with Mac yesterday. It was lower intensity pretty much steady state, and it was good. I was able to increase the resistance on my rower with this one, and I definitely felt it. I’ll try another interval one on Thursday. I really do miss the feedback on this app. A timer at a minimum would be nice. As would the song list like Peloton has. I still have the link Cleda provided that details the rows and the songs, but it would be nice to have it all in one place. Hydrow’s platform is definitely designed for their equipment, which makes perfect sense, but it’s just that much more awkward to use with other equipment.

We went to see my family for Easter. I figured it was safe since they’re all vaccinated, and we didn’t visit anyone else while there. I had a good run Sunday morning at the track and kept up with my mat workouts. I forgot to try a Hydrow mat one though.

This morning was Body Pump and Peloton abs with Ben. We’re running at lunchtime. It’s pretty out, but I’m sneezing a lot from everything blooming.
Old 04-06-21, 10:28 AM  
Daphne M

Pratima - How was the hike? How was your Easter weekend? Did you get your first shot yet?

Cleda - I love when you pop in! (And you know how much I love Aquil too. Yes, humble and kind.)

Alison - I happily assure you that the Hydrow app does provide the song list. If you tap the "+" sign to the right of the list of artists listed under "Playlist," it'll give you the full song list.

Also, (at risk of being obnoxiously full of unsolicited rowing advice), when you say that you added resistance to make the row harder, did you: (a) up the resistance on the machine; or (b) add resistance by pushing harder with your legs, which makes pulling with your arms harder. As the Olympic rowers say on this link and as all the Concept2 tips and tricks advise on these links -- you should avoid option (a) and keep your machine's resistance fairly low. On the Hydrow, that's a 104 (out of 300, I believe.) On a Concept2, that's usually around a 4 (out of 10). The problem is that when you up the resistance on the machine, you're actually transferring the workload to your arms and your upper body instead of your legs. That can create bad form and be bad for your back. If the goal is to work harder, try instead to push harder with your legs. If the goal is to raise your HR, then raise your stroke rate.

Me - It was a good Easter weekend. Brad's roommates were both gone and he decided to drop in for a 3-day stay. Jamie and Zumi (my grandkitty) also came over on Sunday and stayed for several hours. This kitty is a character. She likes to travel and settles in here seamlessly. So entertaining.

Workouts -
  • I didn't work out on Saturday but I did take a glorious nap. Which probably was more beneficial for my health than anything else I could've done.
  • On Sunday, I had an easy 5 mile morning run at Burke Lake, did a 25 minute HIIT row on the Hydrow with Nick, and a core workout.
  • On Monday, I took a 30-minute walk as my workout/active recovery day. And today, I went for a 3 mile run, did a 5 minute row (James -- first song was Welcome to the Jungle and it really hit the Tuesday morning I've-got-a-lot-to-do-today spot), then 10 minutes of Peloton core strength (Emma), and a 5 minute restorative Hydrow yoga in Buena Vista, Colorado that was stunning.

I've slowly strayed from my April workout plan and I need to get back on the plan. So many goals!
Breast Cancer Survivor
Old 04-06-21, 10:57 AM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphne M View Post

Also, (at risk of being obnoxiously full of unsolicited rowing advice), when you say that you added resistance to make the row harder, did you: (a) up the resistance on the machine; or (b) add resistance by pushing harder with your legs, which makes pulling with your arms harder.
B. However, my rower is so low-quality that I probably got the resistance up to where it should be for my abilities. Since this row was lower SPM, I was able to focus on good form throughout and using 60/20/20 legs/core/arms for each stroke.

ETA: Thanks for the tip on the song lists! That helps a lot.

Had a pretty good lunchtime run. I’m dreading when it gets too hot to run at 11:00—today was pretty warm then already. There’s no shade on our Tuesday route, and I don’t have enough time to go to a tree-filled park during my lunch break.
Old 04-06-21, 10:49 PM  
Vantreesta

So do I need more Spinervals workouts even though I haven't tried the ones I have yet??
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-21, 02:26 PM  
Daphne M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
So do I need more Spinervals workouts even though I haven't tried the ones I have yet??
Vannie - I do love to enable and if buying another Spinerval gets you fired up to get in the saddle, go for it. I have 60+ Spinerval workouts and these days, I can't face a single one for longer than 20 minutes. Coach Troy is the x-factor charmer that keeps me coming back, but man they are hard. You could also try saving your pennies and doing the free trial of the Peloton app for a month until you've done our RBR event. Peloton is the lowest-pressure app I have ever signed up for. The only information they requested was my email address. (No financial info, no phone number, no access to other info on my phone.) I did sign up for the $12/month service at the end of my trial period, but they never did any follow-up marketing or applied any pressure: I did it at my own initiative.

Alison – Lunchtime runs in the summer – I get the underboob sweat just thinking about it. Good thing you have your bike & rower as added options if it’s too hot to go outside. You sound like you have a good grasp of the rowing stroke basics already. It took me at least two months to integrate some rowing basics into my stroke, but you are well ahead of my timeline. I did a Burke Lake run on Sunday morning and kept my eyes open looking for you.

Me – Gentle workout day. There was a 30 minute walk + a 30 minute row + stretching. We are at that point of the year where every day something new is budding or blossoming, so this was an especially refreshing walk this morning. Then I got my sweat on by doing 30 minutes on the Hydrow. The main workout was a 20 minute Country Pop Row with Mac that was super low-key (a Breathe) and just what I needed. The plan was to finish up with Day 5 (Week 1) of Emma’s Peloton core crusher workouts, but surprise, the recommended workout was just a 5-minute full body stretch.

I've got two PTO days coming up, so my weekend starts tonight. And that means I'd better get back to work.
Breast Cancer Survivor

Tags
endurance