Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-26-21, 08:50 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Other thoughts:

I really liked the Barre Bootcamp workout! Modifications were given for the few moves that had impact, which was good. There was more upper body focus than I expected, more so than other barre workouts, which I also liked. She didn't rep you to death, like many barre routines do. Lots of room to grow with this workout simply by increasing the weight. I definitely felt thoroughly worked out when I finished. The workout moved quickly enough to get my heartrate up. This one was filmed in a exercise studio setting.

Upper Body Strength was a straight up traditional strength workout - 45 seconds of each exercise, followed by 15 seconds of rest/set up time for the next exercise. 3 circuits of 3 exercises, each set of exercises is repeated before moving on to the next set of exercises. She finishes with some plank and back work on the floor. I worked up a sweat by the time I finished. I had to modify a couple of the more intense exercises - walking planks, renegade rows. This one appeared to have been filmed in a home, in front of double French doors.

Pilates Precision was a mat-based Pilates workout - it wasn't too easy and it wasn't too hard. Karen was good to give modifications for the more challenging moves. This wasn't the traditional pilates sequence - thankfully, I find that very boring - but it wasn't too ordinary and yet it wasn't too "creative" either. This one was filmed in the exercise studio setting.

Positives –
• A good mixture of workouts – 2 barre workouts, 3 cardio workouts, 3 traditional strength workouts, 2 pilates workouts and 2 core workouts
• Timer/countdown clock lovers rejoice – there’s one for the entire workout, and one for each move
• Moves are named at the bottom left hand corner of the screen and the upcoming move is also listed
• Modifications have been given (so far)
• There’s a music off feature

Negatives -

• The film quality and overall production quality seem substandard – they have more of a YouTube feel to them, quality-wise, than a DVD feel (wonder if this was pandemic-driven?.
• The music is not good, but you can play the video without music.
• The sound on the Barre Bootcamp workout was not great, but I'm thinking I can play the video without the music and turn up the volume to fix that problem. I’ve done two other workouts without music and haven’t had any sound issues.
• Some of the moves involve pulling away from the barre, which you'll have to modify if your barre can't handle that. I do think this is easily modifiable, at least it was in the video that I did.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 06:29 AM  
pcdoctor01

I noticed that the XtrainFit DVDs have increased in price. Most used to be $29.99. (I think)
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 09:52 AM  
bubbles76

Pcdoctor, you are correct. And they don't even come with equipment.

Txhsmom thanks for the great reviews. I wish they would post previews. She used to do that.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 10:28 AM  
Vantreesta

I wonder if the price increase is pandemic-driven with so many fitness items being bought?
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-21, 10:47 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Pcdoctor, you are correct. And they don't even come with equipment.

Txhamom thanks for the great reviews. I wish they would post previews. She used to do that.
If you just want to see the types of workouts she does, you can view some on her YouTube channel: workout hotel.

Carol
Old 02-27-21, 07:26 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Define & Align - Functional Cardio Blast - 30 minutes

I thought I might absolutely hate this workout - I'm not a big cardio fan - but I didn't hate it. It may not be my favorite, that would be entirely too much to ask, but it wasn't awful - it was challenging though. The setup is 3 body weight strength moves followed by one purely cardio move, each done for 45 seconds, followed by a 20 second rest. I was afraid that there might be a lot of work on the hands, but there wasn't. Karen continued to give modifications. It's about 22 minutes of work and then you go to the floor for some back and core work and a stretch. Even though this was primarily strength focused moves, it definitely felt like cardio to me.

Carol
Old 02-28-21, 07:03 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Define & Align - Lower Body Strength - 30 minutes

Another straight forward circuit style weight workout - uses medium to heavy dumbbells and a resistance loop. The first circuit is comprised of squats, lunges and deadlifts. Once you repeat that circuit, it's all downhill from there. Circuit two includes some lateral lunges and abductions, calf raises and sumo squats. Circuit three is on the ground and includes glute work and leg work.

Very efficient and thorough.

Carol
Old 03-04-21, 08:44 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Define & Align

Cardio Strength- 30 minutes

This was a very strength intensive workout, with just a tiny bit of cardio, all of which I modified – 3 strength exercises, 1 cardio exercise, then you repeat the same 3 strength exercises and move on to the next circuit. Each move is done for about 45 seconds with a little rest as you set up for the next exercise. Karen gave modifications for all the cardio exercises. There was no floor work, except for mountain climbers, in this workout.

Barre Burn - 30 minutes

Loved this barre style workout - the time just flew by! Felt nicely worked out, but not exhausted or even tired from it. The first 20 minutes or so was standing work, with quite a bit of work pulling away from the barre. The last 10 minutes was floor work – core, chest, triceps, glutes and a very quick stretch.

Cardio Fusion Circuit – 30 minutes

This was a tough workout for me – it was the same basic setup as the Cardio Strength workout -3 strength exercises, 1 cardio exercise, each done for 45 seconds or so and repeat the circuit. There were 3 circuits and then you moved to the floor for a little bit of ab work and a quick stretch. Modifications were given.

Carol
Old 03-05-21, 10:50 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Carol, thank you for your reviews! It sounds like these are pretty efficient. I'm really enjoying cardio + sculpt workouts and these sound tougher than the usual straight barre workouts. Would you agree?

Are the moves more barre-like (e.g. plies, pulsing leg lifts, light upper body weight pulsing) or more traditional weight work? Sounds like the latter.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-21, 02:43 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratima View Post
Carol, thank you for your reviews! It sounds like these are pretty efficient. I'm really enjoying cardio + sculpt workouts and these sound tougher than the usual straight barre workouts. Would you agree?

Are the moves more barre-like (e.g. plies, pulsing leg lifts, light upper body weight pulsing) or more traditional weight work? Sounds like the latter.
More like traditional weight work, IMHO.

Carol

Tags
define and align, karen vizueta, xtfmax, xtrainfit