Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-22-21, 05:43 PM  
ellaenchanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbh View Post
Fixed it, you should be able to get in now.
Thank you so much!!!
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-21, 10:19 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

So today is the first time I’ve logged on to see all the “bots” or whoever they are not online. Maybe Wendy deleted them?

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-21, 03:39 AM  
Ilde

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogapam View Post
So today is the first time I’ve logged on to see all the “bots” or whoever they are not online. Maybe Wendy deleted them?
That, combined with the facts that:

1. the recent 503 Error (which could also mean the website was down for maintenance) was fixed and
2. the Advanced Search feature is again fully functional after a long time of database errors

gives me hope that the forum is not neglected.
Thanks to whomever is taking care of it for us
Ilde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-21, 06:47 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilde View Post
That, combined with the facts that:

1. the recent 503 Error (which could also mean the website was down for maintenance) was fixed and
2. the Advanced Search feature is again fully functional after a long time of database errors

gives me hope that the forum is not neglected.
Thanks to whomever is taking care of it for us
That would be great, but same bots come and go almost daily, at least that's what I've been seeing. Also, I just tried to search for something and got a 500 Error. So, who knows? Some type of communication from Wendy or mods, if we have any, would be nice.
Old 05-28-21, 12:20 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Someone removed the two spam posts with links I reported using the VF report post button yesterday and the day before so I haven't lost hope.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-21, 12:21 PM  
Leonana

Political threads get shut down very quickly. Speaking as a thread killer here, lol. So things are monitored.

I think what concerns me is the lack of new members. If new members aren't added, it leads me to believe the forum is being allowed to die out eventually.
Old 05-28-21, 12:31 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I think what concerns me is the lack of new members. If new members aren't added, it leads me to believe the forum is being allowed to die out eventually.
Hopefully it won't die out, but IMO it does explain why things are less active than in the past. Here is a post where I explain my theory and how I think the board sort of functions now:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adawn View Post
While I believe we have lost a few members due to various controversies and people taking offense or inadvertently causing offense (like the fascia blaster wars that went on for instance), I think the main "issue" is that VF is losing members due to normal forum attrition AND there are no new members being activated on a regular basis to make up for the lost members that left due to age/season of life, personal circumstance, preferring other social media outlets, etc.

So to me, for a few years now, VF has functioned/felt like a very large semi-private/closed forum or giant check-in of sorts--which is okay with me since it's better than VF not existing at all. But I am curious what new members would contribute to discussions and such if they were able to join because I'd love to hear even more voices and opinions and enthusiasm for home workouts.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-21, 01:10 PM  
millie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Political threads get shut down very quickly. Speaking as a thread killer here, lol. So things are monitored.

My browser flags the site as being unsecure. If I were not a long time member, I would not visit and would imagine that this is off putting to new visitors/ potential members.
millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-21, 01:31 PM  
Paula N
VF Supporter

It is a minor point, but one of the top threads anyone sees in General Discussion is about a nearly 5-year old gift exchange program. A few of the other 'Sticky' threads, such as the one about ya-ya boards and the copying of reviews on the Collage site, have not been replied to 2013 and maybe are not important enough to warrant high-visibility real estate anymore.

I assume only a moderator can remove the 'Sticky'?

It would help de-clutter the board and let a few of the more current threads stay on the first page for longer.

No dress rehearsal. This is our life.
Paula N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-21, 01:40 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie View Post
My browser flags the site as being unsecure. If I were not a long time member, I would not visit and would imagine that this is off putting to new visitors/ potential members.
From a 2018 thread, "Website not secure?":

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWWendy View Post
Hi, as stated above the “insecure site” message appears because we use a free shared SSL certificate provided by our web hosting company. We DO have site security, but I have not purchased a separate VF owned SSL certificate with our name on it because VF does not sell anything, capture credit card info etc. so the cost is not worth it. The free shared certificate provides the same security except the name on the security certificate belongs to our hosting company. Because the name does not match videofitness.com the browser error message appears. This is a good thing in the case of a phishing situation / you would not want to log in to a site pretending to be amazon with your amazon credentials (for example). But in our case the mismatch goes not mean we are insecure, just that we use a shared security certificate.

It is always good practice to use a unique password here or anywhere else, however.

I will consult with the hosting company to see if there is a way to stop the warnings besides buying our own SSL.
I do agree that the warnings may be unsettling; other posts are evidence that they can be.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abandonware, forum issues, glitches, internal server error, search malfunction, vf future, vf roost, vf site issues