Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-13-09, 02:39 PM  
herya

Have you tried Dove's w/outs on Exercise TV?

Another thread reminded me of this question I had for a while!

Dove Rose has three workouts available on Exercise TV (20min Upper Body, 20min Lower Body and 10min Abs). I'm not in the USA so I can only see them on the website, Upper Body can be previewed in its entirety and the other two only as 30sec clips. I've never had anything from Dove but she looks like she knows what she's doing.

The Upper Body one looks very decent and I'm considering buying all three downloads to combine them into a 50min full body workout but since the clips are not very representative I'm not sure what's the level of the remaining two, they might be on the easy side (I'd label myself as intermediate).

I'm looking for basic moves like squats, lunges, crunches etc but done in a good pace and not much down time so that it's a solid unfussy 50 minutes for strength. If you tried these workouts could you please give me some idea what they're like?
herya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-09, 03:34 PM  
Jeanne Marie

I have all four of Dove's original workouts. Numbers one through four. I like them a lot. I would classify them as intermediate.

I have also visited her little studio in Studio City, CA. I met her briefly, but did not actually take a class.

I think her workouts are great. I would highly recommend them.
Old 09-14-09, 08:42 AM  
in paris

If you don't want any down time, don't buy the ones from ExerciseTV. (I did exactly that, thinking of doing what you are. It doesn't work.)

She has warm-ups, etc, in each section, which really bogs down the flow. I liked Dove but came out of it not really feeling like I was worked out, even though some of the moves were tough.

I may use these as add-ons at some point, but can't get over feeling a little disappointed in them. I understand why she had to do warm-ups, but....

I highly recommend buying one of her DVDs instead. I enjoyed the Dove I've seen in the clips from her DVDs more than her one-on-one work on ExerciseTV, but maybe that's just me. She seems more at home with people. And, I think the sustained workout of 60 minutes from the DVDs has to have more of flow you're looking for, rather than the chunkiness of ExerciseTV bits.
in paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-09, 01:19 PM  
herya

Thank you, this is exactly what I wanted to know - and intended to do! Boo. Her other DVDs are rather expensive with me being across the pond so I guess I'll back off for now

Do you remember if Lower Body was strength only or with cardio mixed in? Cardio would kill it for me completely, I was looking for strength...
Old 09-14-09, 04:00 PM  
in paris

Quote:
Originally Posted by herya View Post
Do you remember if Lower Body was strength only or with cardio mixed in? Cardio would kill it for me completely, I was looking for strength...
I'll double-check for you and let you know tomorrow. I believe there is an element of it, though. I'm afraid I've been slutting around lately so I only remember the big points....
Old 09-14-09, 05:04 PM  
herya

Thanks
Old 09-15-09, 04:34 PM  
in paris

The lower body has a 3 minute stretch at the beginning and end -- which means approx. 14 minutes of strength work. There is cardio briefly interspersed (walking in place leg lifts) but she explains this is to stretch the muscles and work off lactic acid. But, no, I would not consider it cardio.

These are very unfussy moves, fairly quad-centric, and move at a nice clip. I did not find it that challenging, but I imagine adding weights would make it quite nice.... But is it long enough for you?

The abs one has a very cool move, btw, though she also does real sit-ups.

I like Dove a lot -- no-nonsense, form pointers, and excellent cuing -- but, as I said, these just didn't flow for me as a 50 minute workout. They may work for you, though, and it's not like they're absurdly expensive or anything.
Old 09-16-09, 03:53 PM  
herya

Thank you! I guess I'll move it down on my purchase list then but won't give up yet. I like Dove's style, I like things simple and unfussy And Im trying to find my current Holy Grail - a solid but not complicated toning/strength workout with no equipment other than dumbbells and no cardio. Also inexpensive. They are really hard to find or maybe I'm too picky