Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-12, 01:29 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Looking for a device that can remind me to stand up every 20 minutes

I was listening to Fresh Air on NPR today and the author of The First Twenty Minutes was being interviewed. She had some pretty disturbing research on the effects of sitting for long periods of time. I've heard about the importance of moving and being active before, but this interview hit me in such a way that I want to start being proactive NOW.

My job requires me to sit at a desk. However, I would like to find something (fibit, Nike, bodybugg, etc) that I can wear that will discretely remind me to stand up every 20 minutes. Any recommendations? The author recommends standing up for 2 minutes out of every 20 in order to help combat the I'll effects of sitting for long periods of time. Thanks all!
Old 05-09-12, 01:36 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Haha, I don't have the answer for you, but this reminds me of an iCarly episode where Carly's brother was doing his daily amount of exercise (I think it was 30 minutes) in increments of 10 seconds at a time. He had a device that would randomly, at any time of day, go off and tell him what exercise he was supposed to do for the next 10 seconds--i.e. burpees, jumping jacks, etc. and he would stop what he was doing and do his 10 seconds of exercise.

So, I'm picturing a fellow VF'er with a wristwatch buzzing and randomly doing 10 seconds of burpees or walking lunges in the middle of the day
Old 05-09-12, 01:37 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

No need for a device, there are loads of online timers that you can find that will do the trick. Just search for online timer or countdown timer and you'll find plenty.

If you're set on a device, most digital watches or something like a Gymboss can be set to go off every 20 minutes.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 01:42 PM  
slysam

You can use a timer or interval timer for this. If you have a smart phone there are a lot of option. And here is an online option I learned about from fitbit. it is called fitbolt. Basically at the chosen interval it gives you an exercise or stretch to do, it is intended for desk workers and there are a few ways to use it. http://www.fitbolt.com/

I love my fitbit, it motivates me to more more, but it doesn't do what you describe wanting. It doesn't interrupt me and tell me to move. It just tracks what I do.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 02:25 PM  
mle777

You can also set a recurring meeting on your Outlook calendar for first thing in the morning that says "Move" or "Stand-Up." When the reminder for the "meeting" pops up, snooze it for 20 minutes, and continue to snooze it for 20 minutes the rest of the day. That's what I do, though I snooze for 30 minutes not 20

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 02:27 PM  
Jacqi A
VF Supporter

Have a child (sorry, couldn't resist).
Jacqi A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 02:30 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

I asked this question a while ago and someone recommended a Gymboss. For a PC with Windows, this free program has worked well for me.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 03:39 PM  
dbclark44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mle777 View Post
You can also set a recurring meeting on your Outlook calendar for first thing in the morning that says "Move" or "Stand-Up." When the reminder for the "meeting" pops up, snooze it for 20 minutes, and continue to snooze it for 20 minutes the rest of the day. That's what I do, though I snooze for 30 minutes not 20
Thanks for this. I was looking and looking in my Outlook for a way to do this before I read your post. I just set mine up because I definitely need to get up often and move/stretch.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 04:01 PM  
Sophia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacqi A View Post
Have a child (sorry, couldn't resist).
LOL!!!

Or drink lots of water!
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 04:13 PM  
hotncmom

Quote: