Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-03-20, 09:09 AM  
sherry7899

switching up cardio

Does anyone else attempt to try to switch up the type of cardio they do?

I admit I have been totally stuck in doing dance workouts (mainly the Alchemy of Movement Powhow classes which I absolutely adore) for the past few years. Walking workouts bug my hip flexors, and I am too much of a klutz for step.
I do really like kickboxing, but I can't do it very often because of neck/shoulder issues.

I noticed it has been taking a longer time to get my heart rate up with dance workouts ( I have to do low impact) than it used to. I think my body got used to them.

This morning I tried a cardio workout from Team Body Project on you tube. My heart rate rose faster and stayed higher through it. I only did a thirty minute workout since I had not done them before. (the Soul Sweat classes are an hour or more). I tacked on a ten minute Fit Body by Ashley dance at the end so I had closer to my normal amount of cardio, and got my dance fix.

I am sorry for rambling. I am just wondering if anyone else switches their type of cardio. I did enjoy the Body Project and will try more of them, but dance and kickboxing will always be my favorites.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 09:35 AM  
Gams

I get a variety of exercise mainly because my favorite instructors do different types - I mostly workout with Jessica Smith, Kelly Coffey Meyer, and Kathy Smith.
I have a larger variety of instructors I work out with less often.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 09:41 AM  
Vantreesta

I used to be better about doing different forms of cardio but when my life got really stressful most of my cardio came from running and I still haven't broken that happy. I very much believe variety is important for well-rounded healthy bodies and hope to break my rut one of these days! I personally think we should use many different instructors as well bc they each have a little different style and use the muscles a little differently either from form variations or by switching up the order or tempo.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 02:50 PM  
fanofladyvols

I agree with Vantreesta that it's good for your joints to switch things up because of a trainer's tendencies.

I think it's good to switch things up for brain exercising too.

I noticed when I did a Taebo workout today I had never done that I could anticipate some of the moves. I know I have started to do the same with Classical stretch the more I do it.
So switching up I think is challenging for you.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 06:49 PM  
wendug

Sherry- Yes it is good to switch up cardio. I find myself doing a lot of kickboxing and I love that for cardio, but I know I need to do other types of cardio that my body isn't used to. I've been doing a lot of Team Body Project cardio because it is easy on the joints yet gets my heart rate up. Walking workouts can hurt my hip flexors if I do them too often, but I try to throw some in every now and then. I think that is why I like Jenny Ford more than Leslie because she has a wider variety of moves. And I also mix in some step, too. Keep your body guessing! I agree with the others that have posted that it is good for your body and good for your brain to mix things up!
Old 09-04-20, 05:18 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

I try to switch between lower/higher impact and lower/higher intensity, but I find it's easy to get into a "rut" of walking -- either outdoor walks or walking workouts. I sort of need to push myself to do something more intense. I had the excuse of local fires and too much smoke but it's time for me to get back to it. I tend not to reach for kickboxing -- maybe I should one of the earlier Cathe kick boxes to "knock out" both different style and intensity.
Old 09-04-20, 06:20 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I tend to try to vary the intensity and/or duration of my cardio workouts and that varies the types of workouts I do sort of automatically.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-20, 09:24 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I switch my cardio primarily among kickbox, step, hi/lo, and walking. I also vary in intensity too. When our local rec center was open I also added the elliptical and spin biking. I think it's a good idea to mix it up, both to prevent boredom or overuse injury and to work my body differently.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-20, 10:06 PM  
ChelePA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
I switch my cardio primarily among kickbox, step, hi/lo, and walking. I also vary in intensity too. When our local rec center was open I also added the elliptical and spin biking. I think it's a good idea to mix it up, both to prevent boredom or overuse injury and to work my body differently.
This is me. With weekly Hiit workouts too . I miss my cycling classes at the gym, but won’t return anytime soon.
ChelePA is offline   Reply With Quote