Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-09-12, 12:28 PM  
Stephanie_B

Well from the clips I watched at DDPYoga I think this dude knows his stuff. I don't think I'd click with him right now, but he seems really good with form pointers.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 12:30 PM  
hotncmom

Oh my. I just checked out that DDP yoga ad. Oh my. Not my kind of instructor, that's for sure.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 12:41 PM  
mandie123

Well, I did really find Travis very relaxing,and just waiting for his foundation dvds to come out!
mandie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 01:00 PM  
DianaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosepetals View Post
My experience so far 8 days out is. My strength which is on the low side is gradually improving. My balance which is poor due to neurological issues is improving. The balance work which makes me wobble acts to strengthen the back muscles (T-tapp knowledge.) Which over time increases my strength and balance. My energy is increasing by doing something that has plenty of cardio yet is non-impact. My appetite is finally under control. The workouts seem to have kept hunger at bay, so weight loss is happening. My flexibility is improving very quickly. My body was sooo very tight from the neuro issues, I run the risk of contractures if I don't stretch. For me it is very important. I can now do a forward fold standing and almost touch my stomach to my knees. Granted my stomach is too big, protrudes out and my boobs stick out too. Sigh. I get as close as possible with these parts hindering my progress. I can now almost completely do a plough pose and I don't like doing the plough. I can do the sitting forward fold no problem now.

My pain levels are going down. My knee ligaments tend to be loose on one side. They tightened up, so it doesn't hurt anymore.
This was very inspirational, rosepetals!

I am doing UY too but not the 108-day rotation yet. I plan to do the rotation, perhaps starting June. My daughter is graduating high school and I do not want to stress myself out with sticking to any plans until the hubbub has died down. But just doing these workouts in random order several times a week has been wonderful for me.

I had not done any power yoga before, just slow assortments of poses. Something about it has really clicked with me and, like rosepetals, I can feel my strength improving (I had not been strength training and have a long way to go in this area) and I have a bad knee, one I had arthroscopic surgery on several years ago and which never healed well. It is still tighter than the other one and I find kneeling and squatting positions scary and precarious but I often surprise myself during these DVDs after getting all warmed up with the flow section and then being able to assume a position I would not have been able to a month or two ago.

I have always wanted to run but the knee has held me back. Since starting UY haphazardly, I have gained enough confidence to start the C25K program for what I hope is the last time. I'm only two weeks in but my knee feels great. I really think that UY is strengthening and stretching in a way that is balancing my whole body, and doing so in a way that months and months of PT never did.
DianaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 03:05 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Another one here who has UY and is very impressed by the system -- as one person pointed out (I've forgotten who) the beauty of it is that it is a system -- he really thought about how to balance out all the practices.

It's very hard to tell what DDP yoga is all about. His ad really is information-free. It's too bad he doesn't have any clips. I am very curious to know why the OP thinks it looks more TA-like than UY. Are there clips somewhere?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 03:28 PM  
Stephanie_B

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
Another one here who has UY and is very impressed by the system -- as one person pointed out (I've forgotten who) the beauty of it is that it is a system -- he really thought about how to balance out all the practices.

It's very hard to tell what DDP yoga is all about. His ad really is information-free. It's too bad he doesn't have any clips. I am very curious to know why the OP thinks it looks more TA-like than UY. Are there clips somewhere?
Here's a link http://www.ddpyoga.com/site/index.ph...ults/149-pack1

http://www.ddpyoga.com/site/index.ph...ults/152-pack2

http://www.ddpyoga.com/site/index.ph...esults/135-mma

There might be more. I just don't think he'd work for me for now.

If you can't do it today what makes you think you will do it tomorrow?

DISCLOSURE: I had a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Stephanie_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 04:43 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post
Diamond Dallas Page

Pam
OMG, really? I shouldn't be judgemental, but can a former pro wrestler really know anything about Yoga? I'm checking out the site right now and it doesn't really look appealing, but then, I'm pretty picky about my Yoga. Plus he growls!

I must say I ADORE Ultimate Yogi! The practices are all SUPERB, Travis is a great instructor. It has great flow, perfect cueing, and there are practices for everyone and all levels can try it.
I did not do the 108 day rotation but have been adding these in to my Yoga practices very often. Aside from Eoin Finn Yoga, UY is one of my absolute favs!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 05:45 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Thanks for the pointer to the clips -- I sure missed those somehow. I think it's not for me, either.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 07:35 PM  
Vee

I have and love UY. It is yoga pure and simple. Interesting, creatively sequenced and challenging no doubt, but still pretty much just yoga. I love yoga, so for me the entire reason why it works is because it is just yoga.

I am not against any body of work evolving. Whenever it was that yoga originated, I am sure it was not invented in a day and bits were added and changed over time. Krishnamacharya is the father of yoga as we know it and his students were the ones who exported it to the rest of the world. I am sure a lot of what we accept as yoga, include krishnamacharya's tweaks. Shiva and Jill Miller come to mind as teachers who evolve stuff, but they do it from a strong grounding in classic yoga and an appreciation of the form.

I don't see anything that I consider yoga in the clips that I saw of DDP. It is his system of fitness and it makes claims that I am sceptical of (works for people with severe limitations as well as elite athletes). He does demonstrate some poses from yoga but his approach to them does not show an appreciation of classic yoga. Much of the clips I saw of the workouts were not yoga at all. Which isn't a bad thing. No harm in him labelling it yoga either. After all he does warn that it is not your momma's yoga.

I like my momma's yoga just fine.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-12, 08:44 PM  
Sharaz

I don't know anything about classic yoga. I take it on workouts DVD's for fitness purposes. But I think I understand Vee's point. So, the same happen to me with Zumba. They claim that is Salsa, bachata, merengue, reggueton and more. I don't like it! why? because I'm familiar with classic salsa and other latin dances. Is culture for me. People still love Zumba and may don't care about the roots of many of the modified dances. People that has not being motivated to workout tried Zumba and got hooked with fitness. People had lost a lot of weight with Zumba too. All of this things are great Even though is not for me, I consider Zumba one big influence on fitness.

I like how DDP Yoga look. I'm considering getting both UY and DDP in a future. DDP Yoga look very strength oriented, no meditative and really fun I know at least my guy will choose this "workout" over Shiva Rea.