Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-15, 08:30 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missiscipi View Post
I have been doing it about 3-4 times per week. No other workouts. I am recovering from getting hit by a car so I don't want to add a bunch of stuff in and then not know whats hurting to helping me. So only Super Callanetics. I do the whole 65-70 minutes. I don't do all the ab work. I will do the first segment. Skip over the legs up ones and move to the second to the last abs segment. I also do not do the open and close segment since I don't want to do anything that will put pressure on my herniated discs. After two workouts no more back pain. I am pain free for the past 3-4 days and haven't had that in ages!
I want to do around 4-5 times per week. I make sure to do the pelvic curl anytime I do anything that might put strain on my back.
Thanks so much for all this information! I'm sorry you are having problems from the car accident but glad you've had some pain-free days!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-15, 12:19 PM  
ssgilby

Well, I am sad. I dabbled in Callanetics years ago and remember it bothering my back. (In fact when I Googled Callanetics and back pain, an old thread here at VF popped up wherein I posted that Callanetics made my back scream. LOL!) Funny how an exercise program will relieve back pain for some and cause/aggravate it in others. I've heard so many people say how Callanetics improved their back pain.

Of course, one's memory always fades with time (and I figured that was so long ago), so I thought I'd try it again based on the raves here. The first couple of times through (I was doing either AM/PM or the original Callanetics), my back was sore. However, my entire back side (from bottom of the head to my knees) was sore, so I wasn't overly concerned. The next couple of times, I noticed more localized soreness in my lower back and neck (my two problem areas where I have discs prone to bulging) within an hour or so after finishing a session. However, by the next morning, everything was good. Figuring my back maybe just needed to get used to the motions and strengthen, I persisted. For the next couple of sessions, my back/neck pain was very little, so I was thinking everything was going to be okay. I took a day off last weekend while we were out of town, then did the original Callanetics on Monday and by later on that day my back and neck were absolutely screaming. The old pain I had when my back and neck problems were at their worst was back. I stopped the Callanetics and didn't do any exercise all this week except for short walks, and after a few days, both my back and neck went back to normal.

Now, of course, I'm afraid to try it again. I suspect the Callentics is the issue, but I can't say for sure. My back/neck have been tweaky trouble spots for years. I've gone through phases where it seems like any exercise at all will bother my back. By and large my back has been okay, but it rarely ever feels 100% great. However, I will say that that episode was the worst I'd had in quite a long time.

What bums me out, is after just those few sessions (maybe 7 total), I was already noticing results ! My butt felt firmer, and my stomach was flatter. Aaaarrgghhh! It is so frustrating that I can't continue. I obviously don't want to injure myself, but I hate to bail if it's not the workouts. It should be noted that I modified some of the exercises and I also added a good backbend or two in after every exercise. My PT told me years ago that with my lower back issues, I should back bend, back bend, back bend (and then back bend some more), so I assume the rounded back Callan uses for everything (with nary a counteracting back bend to be found in any of her workouts) is just not agreeing with me. I figured, though, if I kept the rounding to a moderate level and did plenty of backbending throughout the workout, I would be okay.

Now I'm not sure what to do. I may try just doing a section and see how that goes. Perhaps it's just the ab exercises or just the butt exercises that are causing the problem. I may try doing the Quick Callanetics for the butt a few times and see what happens. If that's good, I'll add in the legs, and if that's good I'll try the abs. (However I'm fairly certain it's the ab exercises with the rounded upper back and neck that have exacerbated my neck issues.)

Sigh. Anyone have any experience with modifying Callanetics and still getting good results? Of if not, has anyone found anything that gives similar results to Callanetics without the pain! LOL!
Old 10-02-15, 01:26 PM  
Missiscipi

I am one of the very few that backbends WON"T work for in regards to making my back pain better. It might aggravate it for me. The pelvic curl makes my back not hurt. After months of doing back bends and getting nowhere to this was amazing. I am sorry to hear that you aren't able to do it. I will say though that the Callanetics Evolution ones made my back hurt but that was before I figured out the pelvic curl. Also, if I just curl my pelvis and not tighten my glutes before the curl I have minor back soreness after. So I have to be super precise on the form...
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-15, 05:03 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Shelley, When I started Callanetics 10/10 I got a lot of relief in my lower back, but it aggravated my neck too. When I worked with a Callanetics master instructor, she taught me the technique in Callanetics Evolution, which gave me relief in my neck (and my back).

Also, how often are you doing it? Although they say it is safe to do it every day, my body starts complaining all over if I do it more than twice a week. My body does tend to hold tension though.

You could also try Sandra Hanna's videos on her website - I understand she has tweaked the technique even further.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-15, 07:09 PM  
Jewels5

Julia, congrats on the results! This thread is inspiring and timely, as I have been thinking lately of pulling Callanetics out again. I have been craving it recently along with Pilates, Classical Stretch, and barre. I was hooked on the AM/PM Callanetics awhile back and always felt like I got instant results when I did this, even though that may sound crazy. It was mainly the PM workout that I did in the evenings as an add-on.

Shelley, I modify almost every workout due to one body issue or another, lol. I've had back and neck pain (for the same reason) if I'm not careful. It is much more comfortable to keep my leg bent than holding it straight out to the side, and with my neck I have to really focus on my abs holding me up otherwise it bothers my neck. I also modify the thigh work, but yes, I definitely think these can be modified and still give results! ETA: I get similar results, especially in my abs, when doing Exhale Core Fusion workouts. Something about the small pulses and "strength in stillness" that works!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-15, 11:02 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssgilby View Post
Well, I am sad. I dabbled in Callanetics years ago and remember it bothering my back. Sigh. Anyone have any experience with modifying Callanetics and still getting good results? Of if not, has anyone found anything that gives similar results to Callanetics without the pain! LOL!
Shelley, I don't know whether streaming is an option for you, but Sandra Hannah, on her streaming workouts, has exceptionally fine form pointers. And she ends every workout I've done so far with a stretch where, on your knees, with your tailbone pointed upward (consciously but not strained), you kneel back toward your feet. This is definitely a counter-C curve move.

Sandra Hannah seems to have a deep understanding of anatomy, of muscles and bones and how they move together.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 12:00 PM  
ssgilby

Hey, guys! Thanks for the input. I appreciate all the suggestions. I haven't returned to Callenetics. I thought this week I'd try something gentle, yet different from Callan, so I did Margaret Richards' old "Getting Better, and did it on Monday and Wednesday of this week. My back felt really good when I woke up Monday. During the workout it felt fine, but by the afternoon I was in pain. Tuesday I felt my back, but it wasn't that bad. Did it again on Wednesday and by Wednesday afternoon my back was really tweaky. Did no exercise this morning, and it's still bad and has gotten worse.

Sigh. I'm coming to realize that it seems almost ANY exercise bothers me. It's frustrating. I'm going to stop all exercise for awhile and see what happens. I've also asked my primary doc to refer me back to the ortho. It's been several years since I've seen one. The last time I was told my back issues were really nothing that could be helped by surgery or more aggressive PT. Maybe something has changed.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips!
Old 10-08-15, 01:21 PM  
Karen Beckwith
VF Supporter

Quote:
Hey, guys! Thanks for the input. I appreciate all the suggestions. I haven't returned to Callenetics. I thought this week I'd try something gentle, yet different from Callan, so I did Margaret Richards' old "Getting Better, and did it on Monday and Wednesday of this week. My back felt really good when I woke up Monday. During the workout it felt fine, but by the afternoon I was in pain. Tuesday I felt my back, but it wasn't that bad. Did it again on Wednesday and by Wednesday afternoon my back was really tweaky. Did no exercise this morning, and it's still bad and has gotten worse.

Sigh. I'm coming to realize that it seems almost ANY exercise bothers me. It's frustrating. I'm going to stop all exercise for awhile and see what happens. I've also asked my primary doc to refer me back to the ortho. It's been several years since I've seen one. The last time I was told my back issues were really nothing that could be helped by surgery or more aggressive PT. Maybe something has changed.

Anyway, thanks again for the tips!
Shelley - it does sound like you are hurting more in general. A doctor visit sounds like a good idea. I hope you get a resolution to your problem!

"Comfort zones are very often expanded by discomfort." - Mimi Solaire
Karen Beckwith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-15, 02:13 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
... has anyone found anything that gives similar results to Callanetics without the pain! LOL!

I've found Classical Stretch/Essentrics to be really, really helpful in regaining strength without overdoing it.

Her newest Aging Backwards dvds have a slow, relaxed pace, and the entire thing is designed to start where you are and build from there.

http://www.essentrics.com/page/produ...wards_DVDs.htm
These are currently at a discounted price, FWIW.

Not sure if CS is for you, but thought I'd mention it, in case it's useful info.
Old 10-13-15, 09:14 PM  
mercedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
http://www.essentrics.com/page/produ...wards_DVDs.htm
These are currently at a discounted price, FWIW.
What is the usual price?
Do you know how long the sale price will last?
mercedes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
callanetics, callanetics evolution, callanetics legs, callanetics success, herniated disc, inch loss, pretzel, super callanetics