Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-09-20, 08:13 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Droplets - please, sneeze and cough into a tissue or sleeve. It drives me absolutely nuts when people cough into their hand!!! A lady at my WW meeting did that Saturday morning and got all huffy when I said something. I see medical personnel in doctor's offices coughing into their hands all the time.

I'm taking the precautions available to me. I was the first one at the office this morning and wiped every community surface with Clorox wipes, from door handles to everyone's telephone, keyboard and mouse, to the light switches, copier buttons, etc. I work in a place that is very public and also has many international visitors, so I am nervous, but my gut feeling tells me it is going to be alright. My employers loosened the calling out sick policy so that nobody will be penalized if they have to call out with any illness.

Good luck everyone. Be well.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 08:49 AM  
Izzy

I work in a public library. We are struggling to find hand sanitizer for our patrons. We have told staff to wash their hands frequently. But for the patrons the hand sanitizer is a must.

What I don't understand is the hoarders that are purchasing them for their homes. You just do not need that much hand sanitizer for your home. Keep your surfaces clean and wash your hands. I have seen folks at grocery stores walking out with cases of them.

But as a public building, I cannot find any. Very frustrating.

Mary
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 08:50 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Johns Hopkins published a map of COVID-18 Global Cases.

As of right now, the amount who died from the virus is 3,892; survivors total 62,375. So I'm taking some comfort in that.

That said I'm a little dismayed to see the red bubble over the northeastern seaboard.
Old 03-09-20, 08:51 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

A co worker has been sick the past several days, coughing, sneezing, congested. They wouldn't let him call out sick so now he is possibly infecting all of us. I'm sure he just has a cold and not coronavirus, but still. People should be allowed to stay home when not feeling well.

Corornaviruses have been around in other forms before. My DS had the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu, back in 2009 and was fine. I know this is a different form of coronavirus but the hysteria surrounding it is insane.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 08:57 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
A co worker has been sick the past several days, coughing, sneezing, congested. They wouldn't let him call out sick so now he is possibly infecting all of us. I'm sure he just has a cold and not coronavirus, but still. People should be allowed to stay home when not feeling well.

Corornaviruses have been around in other forms before. My DS had the H1N1 virus, also known as swine flu, back in 2009 and was fine. I know this is a different form of coronavirus but the hysteria surrounding it is insane.
I agree Summer Breeze, I'm 99% sure I had H1N1 - never tested for it - but I had a terrible flu like illness right around the time of that outbreak. I was pretty sick for a week and a half - but, obviously, recovered. I know that those who are older, have a compromised immune system, etc. may not have done as well with that illness or any other virus. But, I feel we are spinning ourselves into hysteria over this.

I do think it is awful that people are penalized for taking sick time - that is true ALL the time, but especially now...

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 09:32 AM  
topfitmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I feel we are spinning ourselves into hysteria over this.
And then there are those who are laughing it all off and complaining that we're all going crazy over this virus. At least aroung here! (I live in Germany).
We have some non-perishables stocked up for just in case and I'm reminding my kids (teenagers...) to wash their hands when they get home. No hand sanitizer here since they're all under 50% alcohol and only claim to be antibacterial on the label. I have a bottle of spirits (97% alcohol) that I use to clean surfaces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
it is awful that people are penalized for taking sick time
That's horrible! Don't they realize that everyone ends up losing if people go to work when they're sick?

I don't usually take time off work. You have to go to the doctor's office to get sick leave, potentially passing on whatever you have to everyone in the waiting room and picking up someone else's virus! I work outside, on my own. I do cancel my tutoring lessons when I'm sick.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 11:06 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Summer Breeze that's just ridiculous. Your employers will really love it when the whole place is sick including the bosses.
Old 03-09-20, 11:11 AM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoodygirl View Post
I was in the toilet and a woman walked out of the stall and didn't wash her hands. I yelled out "Please wash your hands" and she replied, "Please go f*** yourself"

I quit the Y right then and there and told them the reason! GROSS!!!!
Nice! I am famously not a fan of gyms but my friend got me a pass to hers when I was visiting and the amount of sweat and other bodily fluids being flung around really grossed me out, and that was before I got to the bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I have seen folks at grocery stores walking out with cases of them.
I went looking for rubbing alcohol this weekend and everywhere was cleaned out, along with all the hand sanitizer. One grocery store was down to a single bottle of liquid hand soap and all the garbanzo beans, black beans and many of the cheaper brands of pasta and sauce were gone.

Between the real threat of earthquakes, fire and the power outages this past summer, I have several days worth of both drinking and washing water, food, light, indoor cooking supplies (don't use your propane camp stove inside!!), as well as a "bug out bag" in case my cat and I need to get out quick. I live in a small apartment so don't have a ton of storage space. Luckily I also work from home.

I stopped watching the news except for the weather and headlines because it was definitely making me more anxious, and sensational coverage, like live footage of the poor Grand Princess ship chugging around in circles off the coast, isn't useful information.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 11:19 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAC View Post
Regarding there being no toilet paper on store shelves...
Earlier in this thread or another thread, it was mentioned that newspapers and Sears catalog pages used to be used in place of toilet paper in outhouses. I can't imagine this happening, but if worst came to worst and you are using newspaper because you can't find toilet paper, don't flush it! It will clog up the septic lines. You also shouldn't flush kleenex or wet wipes. They don't dissolve the same way toilet paper does.
Great point that I didn't even think about!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
...What I worry most about is people who insist on coming into work sick. ...
The last job I had, the company not only didn't allow sick days, you were penalized with points for calling in sick. If you accrued three points without a doctor's note, it was grounds for a union meeting or even dismissal. Folks came in severely ill. Then everyone else would get it. Not everyone could afford a doctor's visit to get a note. It was really awful! (So much for unions protecting their members...)

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-20, 11:27 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercat View Post
I stopped watching the news except for the weather and headlines because it was definitely making me more anxious, and sensational coverage, like live footage of the poor Grand Princess ship chugging around in circles off the coast, isn't useful information.
The news had an article about how folks were passing the time on the Grand Princess:

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/c...board/2325252/

"On the Grand Princess, Donna LaGesse and her sister-in-law Jackie Eilers had a small celebration in their cabin Saturday night after the captain announced the ship would soon dock. She said they're maintaining a positive attitude, watching exercise videos and re-runs of “The Love Boat."

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, introverts, price gouging, social distancing