Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-19-15, 04:58 PM  
andtckrtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitbezzy View Post
So I'm curious if anyone on here has stories to share about going from 'square one' to becoming a fit and active person?How did you go about transforming yourself -- did you start with cardio or weights or both? How long did it take? Excited to hear your stories!
I'm not sure I'm the best example, but I am an example. I was overweight in high school and college. Running a quarter of a mile in gym class was impossible. I would occasionally ride my bike but that was all.

For me it started with quitting smoking and not wanting to gain any more weight. I was living in El Paso, Texas at the time. I found myself in a bike store talking to a sales guy about a mountain bike. He encouraged me to come out to the beginners group they had every Tuesday and Thursday. I did. and discovered the local mountain bike trail. I started at the bottom, and eventually could ride the entire thing. It was hard work, and took time, but I was determined and I enjoyed the challenge. Soon a 20 mile mountain bike ride was a fun time. Somewhere in there - I lost a boat load of weight - about 70 pounds.

I met a gal who was a mountain climber did a couple of 14,000 mountains in Colorado.

I moved to Maryland where the mountain biking is not as glorious (it's good, just different) and took up road biking. Did a couple of century rides (100+ rides). Then moved to California and took up running. Did a couple of half marathons.

While I'm not thin - I was for a while, but I gained a lot back with menopause - but I'm still fit. I'm running another half this year. Well, walk/running it - but that's okay.

So for someone who couldn't run a 1/4 of a mile, to riding centuries, climbing big mountains, and doing half marathons, yeah, I think I qualify there.

My advice - do what you love. You're going to hear that you need to do cardio, your need to do HIIT, you need to lift weights... And I'm not saying this is wrong - I think for overall fitness, you need a well rounded program. But to get started, find something you love and work on becoming good at it. It doesn't matter what it is - running, yoga, Crossfit, kettlebells, cycling... just do it. The rest will come. Fitness and being an athlete can mean so many different things. Find what it means to you, and enjoy.
Old 07-19-15, 05:52 PM  
Chomper

So true, do what you love. And if what you love is catching up on your favorite tv shows while walking briskly on the treadmill, that's fine too! Not everybody is going to love working out... As hard as that is for some of us to believe.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 02:08 AM  
gymmom

Circuslady - thank you for sharing your story! I have been a gymnastics fan since I was a child - and the only sport I indulged in a a preteen was gymnastics. My 16 year old daughter was a competitive gymnast (high level) and is now a competitive cheerleader. I lived vicariously thru her gymnastics for years, while letting my own fitness goals slack. Your story says it is not too late for me. I want to be back on the mat - it's not too late.
gymmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 09:06 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by gymmom View Post
Circuslady - thank you for sharing your story! I have been a gymnastics fan since I was a child - and the only sport I indulged in a a preteen was gymnastics. My 16 year old daughter was a competitive gymnast (high level) and is now a competitive cheerleader. I lived vicariously thru her gymnastics for years, while letting my own fitness goals slack. Your story says it is not too late for me. I want to be back on the mat - it's not too late.
She is sciencelady, not circuslady.
Remembering from a challenge I'd chanced to be in for a bit. Anita.

I could only imagine the cognitive benefits to the scientific research she's done from that point forward, from all that acrobaticism. Never had the muscle endurance for much of all that. Or at least not all at once!

Says me, who did gymnastics only in the womb; but who is all right with that. Because life!

I remember how lap swimming, calisthenics and dance, helped me think better.

Couldn't say that about other things. Maybe I didn't take to other things. Or they serve some other function.

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 09:11 AM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
So true, do what you love. And if what you love is catching up on your favorite tv shows while walking briskly on the treadmill, that's fine too! Not everybody is going to love working out... As hard as that is for some of us to believe.
Hey, you have got my number (much of the time). Minus the treadmill (in this tiny apartment?). Plus prescription orthotics in old lady runners. And a Walktime! audio cassette or something else by one of the old school College Professors of Walking ...

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
Old 07-20-15, 09:37 AM  
Chomper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
Hey, you have got my number (much of the time). Minus the treadmill (in this tiny apartment?). Plus prescription orthotics in old lady runners. And a Walktime! audio cassette or something else by one of the old school College Professors of Walking ...
Cool. I'd never heard of walk time cassettes before.

http://articles.mcall.com/1988-08-07...ss-gale-snyder

Nowadays, with smart phones and playlists, we could make something like that for ourselves. I use Spotify a lot for workout playlists.
Chomper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 02:37 PM  
MsThistlebottom

While I still wouldn't classify myself as "very fit," here's my story in a nutshell.

Eleven years ago, I could barely drag the groceries into the house without becoming winded. Because of intense knee pain, I felt like I needed the Jaws of Life to get out of my car. So I started with Leslie and Ellen Barrett, bought myself a set of 3 lb and 5 lb weights, and branched out from there. Changed my diet drastically. Bought more weights and a weight bench, found out what I loved to do, and then did it.

I had been maintaining my fitness level but not making progress, so I recently pushed myself waaaay out of my comfort zone and started working with a personal trainer. I'm in my fourth week of lifting heavy and I it. Am still very much a work in progress rather than a success story, but I WILL get there come hell or high water. Oh, and I just celebrated my 62nd birthday.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 04:17 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chomper View Post
Cool. I'd never heard of walk time cassettes before.

http://articles.mcall.com/1988-08-07...ss-gale-snyder

Nowadays, with smart phones and playlists, we could make something like that for ourselves. I use Spotify a lot for workout playlists.
Wow! How you dug that article up about Gale D. Snyder!

Thanks.

Now I know, in miles, the walking distance she covers on the 2nd side (done with a certain form that does add to the exertion value): 3 miles!

I kept copping to less distance ...

-Bettina

Old 07-20-15, 08:42 PM  
Sara1000

Joan that is so great you have started working with a personal trainer! May you continue to get stronger and stronger as the years go on.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-15, 09:16 PM  
mtngoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinierTina View Post
She is sciencelady, not circuslady.
<snip for comment>
I don't know why, but this made me chuckle all day!

I enjoyed and am inspired by everyone's stories! I was young, active and slim when I started working out, so mine wasn't really a turnaround. (Of those three attributes, I am still active, ha ha.) I starting working out to help quit smoking - I think it really helped me achieve that goal. Every time my lungs hurt I'd think - 'You're 21 - your lungs shouldn't be hurting!'.

Lacey (trying to convince Brent to take a Pilates class): C'mon Brent, don't you want to unify your mind and body?
Brent: Nah. I'm not gonna put all my eggs in one basket.
Corner Gas Season1 Episode 3 "Pilates Twist"
mtngoat is offline   Reply With Quote