Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Ultimate Yogi or DDP Yoga? (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=180247)

daisyduke 05-09-12 09:31 AM

Ultimate Yogi or DDP Yoga?

I don't know much about Yoga - done Yoga X a lot and am fairly flexible. I am advanced exerciser looking to take it down a notch. I have loved my results with TA but am wondering if Yoga could help me too. A lot of exercise just knocks me out anymore. : (

I am looking to keep my strength and get good cardio in too. I'm not looking for just meditating or relaxation.
Soooo, which would you recommend? It looks like DDP Yoga is a bit more like TA but Ultimate Yogi looks great too.

I realize not many have both of those systems but maybe a more experienced Yoga person could look at clips and chime in here!

rosepetals 05-09-12 10:04 AM

Daisy, I am not a yoga expert at all. Mostly a beginner who is finally committing to a program UY. Due to health issues I can't do high impact workouts and I have to try to not overheat my body or I can't move for a while.

My experience so far 8 days out is. My strength which is on the low side is gradually improving. My balance which is poor due to neurological issues is improving. The balance work which makes me wobble acts to strengthen the back muscles (T-tapp knowledge.) Which over time increases my strength and balance. My energy is increasing by doing something that has plenty of cardio yet is non-impact. My appetite is finally under control. The workouts seem to have kept hunger at bay, so weight loss is happening. My flexibility is improving very quickly. My body was sooo very tight from the neuro issues, I run the risk of contractures if I don't stretch. For me it is very important. I can now do a forward fold standing and almost touch my stomach to my knees. Granted my stomach is too big, protrudes out and my boobs stick out too. Sigh. I get as close as possible with these parts hindering my progress. I can now almost completely do a plough pose and I don't like doing the plough. I can do the sitting forward fold no problem now.

For me these workouts are not relaxing, like doing Eoin Finn Or other yoga experts. It is more cardio and strength based to me. Again I lack yoga knowledge. It is the hardest yoga I have done strength wise and cardio wise, yet I am able to stick with it and see improvements.

The workouts overall so far are very challenging the first 30 min. I figure if I can make it 30 min. I can finish the hour workout. It's intensity goes down a bit after the 30 min. mark. He is also motivating.

My pain levels are going down. My knee ligaments tend to be loose on one side. They tightened up, so it doesn't hurt anymore.

The meditation stuff so far has been mostly not relaxing for me. Breath out, breath in one finger blocking air movement on one side, some breath holding. . . It makes me feel like I am trying to improve my breath holding abilities. It doesn't feel fun. Or scaring the cat by suddenly breathing loudly for 36 counts. She wondered why her mom was hissing at her. She got big eyes and ran to the corner of the room to stare at me. It all seems to have a purpose. In the beginning I did not love the set, but I grew to love it. The more you do it, the more you learn about yourself, your abilities, etc.

There are other workouts with more relaxing meditations.

Stephanie_B 05-09-12 11:24 AM

I have Ultimate and love it, I do agree 30 minute mark can be the part where it goes down a bit. I do know my cardio capacity and strength have increased. I can't say my flexiblity has because it also has with Jill Miller and Kurt Johnsen's workouts, as well as Eoin's. I also think a lot of the breathing exercises are to calm anxiety down in Travis's program versus just increasing lung capacity. He has a lot of talk about anxiety and depression on his website so I really feel that's one of his goals with the breathing exercises.

I looked at DDP and I honestly don't think I could even come close to relaxing with that guy as the instructor. It might be a great workout, I dunno, but from what I could ascertain it's just about the physical asanas (which I think is what you are looking for) and nothing about the mind-body connection or meditation. He seems a little too intense for me in personality.

mandie123 05-09-12 11:33 AM

I tried UY and it was too hard for me.I do have alot of joint and muscle issues as I have chronic lyme,but I did like Travis and will get his more beginning set when it comes out.The ddp yoga looked too me like it had more modifications but if your advanced you'll prob like Travis overall.Just my opinion.

CindyC923 05-09-12 12:02 PM

DDP Yoga

Hi,

What is DDP Yoga?

thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by daisyduke (Post 2030883)
I don't know much about Yoga - done Yoga X a lot and am fairly flexible. I am advanced exerciser looking to take it down a notch. I have loved my results with TA but am wondering if Yoga could help me too. A lot of exercise just knocks me out anymore. : (

I am looking to keep my strength and get good cardio in too. I'm not looking for just meditating or relaxation.
Soooo, which would you recommend? It looks like DDP Yoga is a bit more like TA but Ultimate Yogi looks great too.

I realize not many have both of those systems but maybe a more experienced Yoga person could look at clips and chime in here!

Pam61 05-09-12 12:08 PM

Diamond Dallas Page

Pam

Stephanie_B 05-09-12 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CindyC923 (Post 2030986)
Hi,

What is DDP Yoga?

thanks

http://www.ddpyoga.com/site/index.php/en/

A-Bot 05-09-12 12:10 PM

Has anyone done DDP Yoga? I haven't noticed anyone in the other thread (the "never give up" thread) saying they have done it either. I am curious as it claims to be tough and restorative, but not curious enough to be the first lab mouse ;).

Pam61 05-09-12 12:16 PM

I only have UY for comparison. The flow of UY is terrific as is the program as a whole. You will get a terrific cardio challenge from the cardio DVD, and each workout has a specific focus/goal with CrossTrain being a little bit of everything.

DDP scares me. If he's teaching the yoga, it's not a practice I'm interested in. So with only seeing the clip/ad it would be an easy choice for me.

Travis has style, professionalism, good production quality, beautiful music, and the practice is like non other. Hands down a favorite of mine, obviously.

I don't love cardio workouts in general, so the cardio workout is challenging for me, but your endurance improves each time you do this workout. I wish there were more cardio-yoga focused workouts like this (and hope Travis will do more!)

Pam

Pam61 05-09-12 12:25 PM

You will have no trouble keeping your strength with all the UY pushups! ;)

But, strength means different things to different people. When I lift weights, I do tend to look more bulky. Some short sleeve tops can be a bit tight, and on occasion I can't zip up my boots, if I'm doing too much leg work, so gotta watch that.

Yoga has slimming benefits, if you're doing daily hour long power yoga, that is challenging.

I like for my back and shoulder muscles to be a little more developed/toned, so I still will add weights for those areas.

Pam