Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   switching up cardio (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=229372)

sherry7899 09-03-20 09:09 AM

switching up cardio

Does anyone else attempt to try to switch up the type of cardio they do?

I admit I have been totally stuck in doing dance workouts (mainly the Alchemy of Movement Powhow classes which I absolutely adore) for the past few years. Walking workouts bug my hip flexors, and I am too much of a klutz for step.
I do really like kickboxing, but I can't do it very often because of neck/shoulder issues.

I noticed it has been taking a longer time to get my heart rate up with dance workouts ( I have to do low impact) than it used to. I think my body got used to them.

This morning I tried a cardio workout from Team Body Project on you tube. My heart rate rose faster and stayed higher through it. I only did a thirty minute workout since I had not done them before. (the Soul Sweat classes are an hour or more). I tacked on a ten minute Fit Body by Ashley dance at the end so I had closer to my normal amount of cardio, and got my dance fix.

I am sorry for rambling. I am just wondering if anyone else switches their type of cardio. I did enjoy the Body Project and will try more of them, but dance and kickboxing will always be my favorites.

Gams 09-03-20 09:35 AM

I get a variety of exercise mainly because my favorite instructors do different types - I mostly workout with Jessica Smith, Kelly Coffey Meyer, and Kathy Smith.
I have a larger variety of instructors I work out with less often.

Vantreesta 09-03-20 09:41 AM

I used to be better about doing different forms of cardio but when my life got really stressful most of my cardio came from running and I still haven't broken that happy. I very much believe variety is important for well-rounded healthy bodies and hope to break my rut one of these days! I personally think we should use many different instructors as well bc they each have a little different style and use the muscles a little differently either from form variations or by switching up the order or tempo.

fanofladyvols 09-03-20 02:50 PM

I agree with Vantreesta that it's good for your joints to switch things up because of a trainer's tendencies.

I think it's good to switch things up for brain exercising too.

I noticed when I did a Taebo workout today I had never done that I could anticipate some of the moves. I know I have started to do the same with Classical stretch the more I do it.
So switching up I think is challenging for you.

wendug 09-03-20 06:49 PM

Sherry- Yes it is good to switch up cardio. I find myself doing a lot of kickboxing and I love that for cardio, but I know I need to do other types of cardio that my body isn't used to. I've been doing a lot of Team Body Project cardio because it is easy on the joints yet gets my heart rate up. Walking workouts can hurt my hip flexors if I do them too often, but I try to throw some in every now and then. I think that is why I like Jenny Ford more than Leslie because she has a wider variety of moves. And I also mix in some step, too. Keep your body guessing! I agree with the others that have posted that it is good for your body and good for your brain to mix things up!

bee 09-04-20 05:18 PM

I try to switch between lower/higher impact and lower/higher intensity, but I find it's easy to get into a "rut" of walking -- either outdoor walks or walking workouts. I sort of need to push myself to do something more intense. I had the excuse of local fires and too much smoke but it's time for me to get back to it. I tend not to reach for kickboxing -- maybe I should one of the earlier Cathe kick boxes to "knock out" both different style and intensity.

Laura S. 09-04-20 06:20 PM

I tend to try to vary the intensity and/or duration of my cardio workouts and that varies the types of workouts I do sort of automatically.

cataddict 09-04-20 09:24 PM

I switch my cardio primarily among kickbox, step, hi/lo, and walking. I also vary in intensity too. When our local rec center was open I also added the elliptical and spin biking. I think it's a good idea to mix it up, both to prevent boredom or overuse injury and to work my body differently.

ChelePA 09-04-20 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cataddict (Post 2888907)
I switch my cardio primarily among kickbox, step, hi/lo, and walking. I also vary in intensity too. When our local rec center was open I also added the elliptical and spin biking. I think it's a good idea to mix it up, both to prevent boredom or overuse injury and to work my body differently.

This is me. With weekly Hiit workouts too . I miss my cycling classes at the gym, but won’t return anytime soon.