Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Walking outside vs Leslie Sansone (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=10381)

netmom 06-01-02 12:33 PM

Walking outside vs Leslie Sansone

Is it just me or is walking outside tougher than doing Leslie's tapes? I can easily do her 2 mile tape but when I tried to do it outside (on flat roads) it was much harder and I needed significantly more time to walk the 2 miles. I guess I'm doubting that her tapes are actually equivalent to what they claim (or am I wrong about this?).

My hubby - who is a competitive bike rider - claims that anything you do "in place" is easier than the real thing - walking, road biking vs. stationary biking because actually moving your body over the distance is tougher. Any input?

Louise

Becka Boyd 06-01-02 12:52 PM

I have experienced the same thing you have with Leslie's videos. I think there are several reasons. 1)intensity so I started jogging the walking in place for the WAP and using my step for the knee ups 2)when I walk outdoors there are a few hills for me to conquer too therefore the step has helped me train for those

:cool:

SharonNYC 06-01-02 01:29 PM

Don't forget wind resistance.

Makes a big difference.

Debbie S. 06-01-02 01:36 PM

Walking outside

is definitely harder, unless you're just strolling. :)

planimal 06-01-02 02:16 PM

I don't know if her tapes are equivalent to a real two-mile walk done in a half hour--there is the flat surface to consider, and all the rest, but then with the tape you have to keep at it and not stop to pet dogs or talk to neighbors, or wait for traffic.

I do know that I had better results with tapes. Her 2 Mile Walk and a Denise Austin strength workout were my first two tapes, and I lost weight with them, whereas I couldn't with just walking (maybe due to all those distractions.) As for cardiovascular health, I couldn't say; mine seems to have improved, but that happened over a long period of time, and I had been using many other tapes besides Leslie's by the time I noticed the improvement.

--planimal

WWWendy 06-01-02 05:24 PM

distractions, pacing

In addition to some of the intensity factors, I just get distracted a lot more when I'm walking outside and it's harder to keep a consistent pace. I find myself checking out what's blooming in someone's garden, pausing for a quick hello to a neighbor, or waiting for cars to pass before I can cross some of the busier streets.

So yes, for me, walking outside takes longer, but the intensity isn't always as consistent.

I don't like to wear headphones, though I would guess music or a walking tape would help w/ the pacing problem.

coco722 06-01-02 06:16 PM

after her 3 and especially 4 mile tapes, i feel like i've really *walked*. my leg muscles do that little popping thing that they do when i've walked miles outside. but the 2 mile tapes just feel like low intensity aerobics.
but her tapes are great because even though i enjoy walking outside, i never would, it's just too hot where i live, don't have a sitter etc.

Barb L 06-02-02 07:40 AM

I just received my first Leslie Sansone tape this week, her 3-Mile Power Walk. She's very pleasant, and I'm happy to have this tape.

I did it on the rebounder, which gives this workout a completely different dimension.:) I used it, one mile at a time, as a warm-up or cool down on three consecutive days.

My best guess is, you'd get a somewhat tougher workout outdoors. For one thing, to walk forward, you are naturally pushing more of your body weight and taking a bigger stride. However, this would also involve harder impact.

I can definitely see how doing this walk three or four times a week consistently would be a great asset to a weight loss program. Doing it on the rebounder allows the option of jogging in place, while eliminating the impact. This adds an element of energy and fun for me. I might find a walking workout without scenery a bit tedious.

candi972 06-02-02 10:42 AM

Re: Walking outside vs Leslie Sansone

Quote:

Originally posted by netmom
I guess I'm doubting that her tapes are actually equivalent to what they claim (or am I wrong about this?).

I think you hit the nail on the head. I have done her 2 mile walk at least 3 times with a pedometer and I have never hit the 2 mile mark.

leslie w 06-02-02 08:38 PM

I would think you have to take steps per minute and stride into consideration when judging a mile.

I walk outside a lot and I also use her 3 Mile Power Walk tape. I do feel like I've worked out after I finish the tape, but the weights help.

With any tape after doing it for a while you're going to have to increase the intensity to maintain any benefit from it. I now use 3 lb weights w/ her 3 mile tape and I add some high impact moves too.