Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Muffin top after menopause (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=181564)

Sara1000 06-16-12 06:59 AM

Muffin top after menopause

Is there any remedy? Someone posted in another thread she is not overweight but has fat around the midsection. Same for me.

I have read that after menopause the body starts storing fat around the waist because this helps the immune system which is compromised somewhat by the lack of estrogen.

So maybe it is counterproductive to try to get rid of this fat? I have after several years more or less accepted that my pre menopause pants will never fit me in the waist again. Could this extra fat be the reason I have not had a cold in the last two years? Would it be a mistake to try to get rid of it?

According to charts I am a little UNDERweight.

I wonder how many others in this forum have gained a muffin top after menopause and whether they just accept it or fight it or maybe have successfully gotten rid of it.

zippity 06-16-12 08:12 AM

I didn't like my menopause muffin top and promptly got rid of it! :o I had several endocrine issues going on, and my NP has done a wonderful job helping me feel better with hormone therapy.

Hormone therapy is not for everyone; lots of folks here have navigated menopause successfully without them; hopefully they'll talk about their experiences. :)

A woman's body handles glucose differently during and after menopause; we stop responding to insulin as efficiently as we once did, the carbohydrates we eat are not utilized as efficiently as before, so the glucose ends up on our midsections. This is a very simplified explanation, btw. The end result, however, is that most women probably need to cut down on or change the nature of the carbohydrates that we eat after menopause.

My advice is to educate yourself about menopause and the endocrine system; the first book I recommend is "The Wisdom of Menopause" by Christine Northrop. When I started the book, I thought her ideas were a little too extreme for my tastes, but then she gets into a pretty comprehensive explanation of the physiology of menopause. She also talks about non-hormone treatments for menopause such as plant-based phytoestrogens and supplements:

http://www.amazon.com/The-Wisdom-Men...ords=menopause

Another author is Suzanne Somers; I thought this woman was absolutely nutty, had no scientific training and didn't know what she was talking about, then I started reading her books. Yes, she has some strong opinions, they're not always correct, IMO, but she has definitely done her research and collaborated with some of the top minds in medicine to support her arguments. I'm not going to recommend any specific books because I am beginning to run out of time and her work is this subject is so well known.
I'm never ever going to inject estrogen into my girl parts and probably won't have the opportunity to have a stem cell neck-lift, but I have learned a lot about hormones, diet, and exercise from her. Thank you, Suzanne Somers! :sun:

I don't think belly fat is considered healthy. A little muffin top probably doesn't put you at risk, especially since you are at a below-normal weight, but there are plenty of ways to supply estrogen without it.

Hope this helps! I'm looking forward to reading what the other folks say-there's a lot of wisdom here at VF!

hotncmom 06-16-12 08:21 AM

What about those of us that have had a muffin top since puberty? Is that indicative of any hormonal issues or anything that can be fixed easily? Even when I was 18 and had an otherwise tight little body, I had a little pooch. Not trying to hijack the thread, I just thought there might be some estrogen-dominance or other issue that starts early in some women that doesn't show up in other women until menopause.

ddj 06-16-12 09:28 AM

I never had a muffin top, was always a pear, and am just now getting a little fluff around the middle but I'm extremely estrogen dominant. Is that the only reason for extra weight around the mid section?

Hotncmom, I'm starting to think I've had low progesterone for a long time because I don't know how you can lose all of it suddenly with menopause. But again, that would have made me estrogen dominant for a long time and extra torso weight was never my problem until now.

Zippity, I'm glad you found someone who can help with all of your endocrine disorders. I think I must be rife with them but I can't find anyone who will treat all of them, much less progressively (they're all pretty much old school :(). I wonder if finding someone who could integrate my treatment would help me actually get some treatment that works!

videofit 06-16-12 11:58 AM

If you are estrogen dominant, you could try using ProGest cream from Whole Foods for a month or two and see if it makes a difference. Progesterone balances estrogen.

I've been on bioidentical hormones for years and don't have a problem with mid-section weight gain other than when I over-indulge on sweets. I have been able to get back to my measurements from when I was in my twenties by self-discipline with diet and exercise so I know it's possible when I don't slack off, as I often do.

Muffin top is fat but it can also be loose skin. I've noticed skin becoming more slack as I age.

Sophie 06-16-12 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zippity (Post 2052135)
I don't think belly fat is considered healthy. A little muffin top probably doesn't put you at risk, especially since you are at a below-normal weight, but there are plenty of ways to supply estrogen without it.

When people say "muffin top" I assume they mean the overhanging bits :) which would mostly be subcutaneous fat - that underlying the skin. While not fun to have, if it's not excessive I agree it probably doesn't put most people at risk. The concern about midsection fat is excessive visceral fat covering the internal organs. It's there, but won't actually "overhang".

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotncmom (Post 2052138)
What about those of us that have had a muffin top since puberty? Is that indicative of any hormonal issues or anything that can be fixed easily? Even when I was 18 and had an otherwise tight little body, I had a little pooch.

No, I just think that has to do with genetically determined predisposition as to where fat is stored. My entire family is like this. Even the skinny, muscular ones have it. We store it there rather than in hips and thighs.

PhyllisG 06-16-12 12:00 PM

I never had a muffin top until well past menopause. So I can't blame it on that--at least I can't. I found that working out with Ellen and TA has really helped with the obliques. I still have belly fat tho. Recently I have started watching what I eat and that has really helped. I am on a mission now to get rid of it and plan on doing TA's PP as often as possible and walking often with Leslie--a couple of miles a day every day. I know it can be done!

I know that because this winter when I was sick in bed for a month and barely eating I lost it completely. My stomach was totally flat by the time I was on my feet again.

Sara1000 06-17-12 10:02 AM

Coincidentally, my MIL just finished a book and loaned it to me - Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight - Banish Your Wheat Belly

It is an interesting read by William David, MD.

fit44 06-17-12 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sara1000 (Post 2052611)
Coincidentally, my MIL just finished a book and loaned it to me - Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight - Banish Your Wheat Belly

It is an interesting read by William David, MD.

Here's a very informative podcast with Dr. David and the author of "The Paleo Solution".
http://robbwolf.com/2011/08/30/the-p...on-episode-95/

I know I'm in the early stages of menopause, so far, my mid section is staying flat and trim. I switched to a grain-free lifestyle a year ago and have found this to be my magic formula.
Interestingly enough, my migraine doctor recommended this well known doc in my area for bioidentical hormone therapy; and this doctor recommends a low carb lifestyle with hormone therapy.
I have noticed looser skin, but my abs are lean.:)

KellyMarie65 06-17-12 11:42 AM

I've noticed a difference since starting bioidentical hormone therapy and a low dose of thyroid medicine. I also follow a low carb, no grain diet. I started being so bloated all the time it was awful.