Video Fitness Forum

Video Fitness Forum (http://forum.videofitness.com/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://forum.videofitness.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Thinking about a ropeless jump rope, again (http://forum.videofitness.com/showthread.php?t=179632)

Diana3271 04-23-12 12:02 PM

Thinking about a ropeless jump rope, again

What is the difference between:
EZ Rope
Rope Sport
Jump Snap

Where did you purchase?

Do you have a favorite DVD that you use with your ropeless jump rope? TIA

fagiles 04-23-12 02:54 PM

I have the JumpSnap but the EZ Rope appears to be longer. I use mine with the Rope Sport dvds because I like the upbeat music and also use it with Michael Olajide's workouts.

I purchased Jump Snap online a couple of years ago but have seen a ropeless rope at Sports Authority for about $20-25

Felecia

kirov2 04-23-12 03:22 PM

I got my ropeless jumprope about 2 weeks ago, and I love it!

I bought the Airope from power-systems.com and have been using it with Michael Olajide's DVD (AeroJump/Sculpt).

I do about 20 minutes of the first workout on the DVD. Even though I don't jump the whole time, I keep my feet moving when I need to rest, so that I'm never standing still. Did the workout four times last week, and it broke me through a weight-loss plateau that had been lingering for three weeks!

It feels like a real jump-rope, and even though it seems gimmicky, it's more than a prop. You are using your upper body actively, and even my core/abs gently complain the next day!

Susan 04-23-12 03:28 PM

I have a JumpSnap, and it's pretty cool, but I don't think the electronics are particularly accurate. I have only tried it a few times so far, so maybe the problem is my technique and not the actual JumpSnap, but so far, it is miscounting my jumps by quite a bit.

I have it set up to make the rope-snapping sound, and quite often, I "turn" the invisible rope (which sounds even dumber than it feels...) but there's no snap. I think you have to learn to hold the handles just right if you want the counting thing to work. I haven't tried any of the other functions yet, so I can't give you a full review.

beatchica 04-23-12 03:40 PM

Interesting post, a ropeless rope is something I have wanted for awhile as well.

Amazon has a Digital Cordless Jumping Rope for 16 bucks, I might try it. :)

Lucky Star 04-23-12 03:51 PM

Hmm, not sure I get the concept.
I have 2 prs of jumprope handles - one set weighted (1/2lb each) and one not - which I hold and manipulate when going through the jumping motions. I got them by buying inexpensive jumpropes and cutting off the handles. Other than the snap sounds (which my healthy imagination can supply :)) what's the difference and why the hefty price tags?

icebergslim 04-23-12 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky Star (Post 2021821)
I have 2 prs of jumprope handles - one set weighted (1/2lb each) and one not - which I hold and manipulate when going through the jumping motions. I got them by buying inexpensive jumpropes and cutting off the handles. Other than the snap sounds (which my healthy imagination can supply :)) what's the difference and why the hefty price tags?

I am glad I am not the only one who did this. The handles are heavy enough for that added part for the arms. When I got into jumping, I looked at all of these and thought, my jump rope was WAYYY cheaper than what these prices are. And have not missed a beat doing it this way.

blueskies 04-23-12 04:19 PM

Gina - Really, you've just about got the concept! I owned a Jump Snap and after trying it a few times, wrote an extensive review on it over at Amazon--it doesn't really offer anything different other than some bells and whistles. The original Jump Snap DVDs were incomplete without warm ups and cool downs (which I think is extremely dangerous for an intense workout like jumping rope). However, I think the product has been updated since then with new DVDs that do include more "complete" workouts.

Basically, you're paying for DVDs and bells and whistles. After I returned the Jump Snap, I did exactly what you did and it worked exactly the same way, with the exception of not getting whacked in the hand by the weighted balls that were attached to the ends of the Jump Snap. Much cheaper and safer, in my opinion.:)

Susan 04-23-12 05:56 PM

Quote:

Other than the snap sounds (which my healthy imagination can supply :)) what's the difference and why the hefty price tags?

I don't like to brag, but my JumpSnap lights up. And the light is blue. (Ooh! Pretty!) Let's see your plain old handles do that! :D Well, in fairness, the JumpSnap doesn't light up all the time, but if I press a button, it lights up for at least a few seconds, unless it somehow forgets to turn itself off, and then the light stays on until I get frustrated and take out the batteries.

Clearly, I have yet to master the complex intricacies of the JumpSnap.

Hey, I never claimed to be Einstein. (And if you think about it, the fact that I bought a jump rope that was missing the rope pretty much verifies that I'm no genius. :p)

Sharaz 04-23-12 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirov2 (Post 2021801)
I got my ropeless jumprope about 2 weeks ago, and I love it!

I bought the Airope from power-systems.com and have been using it with Michael Olajide's DVD (AeroJump/Sculpt).

I do about 20 minutes of the first workout on the DVD. Even though I don't jump the whole time, I keep my feet moving when I need to rest, so that I'm never standing still. Did the workout four times last week, and it broke me through a weight-loss plateau that had been lingering for three weeks!

It feels like a real jump-rope, and even though it seems gimmicky, it's more than a prop. You are using your upper body actively, and even my core/abs gently complain the next day!

Just to add that I have a Airope and is good. Select the basic one. I went up and ordered the pro and my arms are claiming for mercy when doing long jump roping cycles. I should know better:cool:

Kirov - I'm glad you are enjoying Michael, you know his my favorite;)

Gardengirl 04-23-12 06:52 PM

Quote:

Yep, I did that too. I bought Rebok weighted speed rope and took the beaded jump rope off and used just the weighted handles.

Lucky Star 04-23-12 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan (Post 2021881)
I don't like to brag, but my JumpSnap lights up. And the light is blue. (Ooh! Pretty!) Let's see your plain old handles do that! :D

Oh brag away, but if I had that the first thing I'd chuck would be the batteries. :D

Diana3271 04-23-12 10:06 PM

Thank you for all the replies. I just got home and I am going to look into the suggestions. I have a 20% off coupon for Sports Authority. I will look there, too.

MomOf2Gremlins 04-24-12 01:02 AM

Ohhh.. interesting thread! I just got back into jumping rope (without a rope, just holding 1 # DBs sometimes, sometimes nothing) and love the quick & intense workout!
I'll have to check out those DVDs that were mentioned here, thanks! ;)

kirov2 04-24-12 08:05 AM

I admire everyone's ingenuity with do-it-yourself rope-making! Makes me wish I didn't spend so much on the airope---but, hey, if it breaks me through plateaus, it's worth it in the end to me.

And, oops, I actually don't have AeroJump/Sculpt---just looked at the DVD-cover and what I have is Olajide's AeroJump Skills 1, 2, 3. SharazPR, your favorite instructor is great! This summer, I may use a *real* jumprope so that I can try to learn some of those fancy-dancy skills of his!

flamingoo 04-24-12 08:07 AM

How are the air rope dvds? I have an old jumpsnap and don't care too much for the dvds. Could you guys recommend some good jump roping dvds to use?

Diana3271 04-24-12 08:20 AM

Look at this video clip! I am sure to knock myself out! :D http://www.power-systems.com/p-4177-airope.aspx

Sharaz 04-24-12 08:30 AM

Quote:

The difference is that you don't have the cord. The airope and others versions has the short cord attached, so the jump roping mimic motion is higher. The airope move in a circular motion, so mimic jump roping better and is harder. The only deferent is that you are not passing the cord under your foot, which with a speed rope requires more skills by coordinating arms and foot. I have tried all versions because I have being jump roping for a long time. I put them on this level of difficulty (handles only, weights, airope, speed rope)

Jump rope is a great cardiovascular and leg strength exercise, doesn't matter what you are using you get some benefit from it.

flamingoo 04-24-12 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diana3271 (Post 2022165)
Look at this video clip! I am sure to knock myself out! :D http://www.power-systems.com/p-4177-airope.aspx

I saw that video- it looks kind of fun, but which dvd is it closest to-anyone know?

Sharaz 04-24-12 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kirov2 (Post 2022155)
I admire everyone's ingenuity with do-it-yourself rope-making! Makes me wish I didn't spend so much on the airope---but, hey, if it breaks me through plateaus, it's worth it in the end to me.

And, oops, I actually don't have AeroJump/Sculpt---just looked at the DVD-cover and what I have is Olajide's AeroJump Skills 1, 2, 3. SharazPR, your favorite instructor is great! This summer, I may use a *real* jumprope so that I can try to learn some of those fancy-dancy skills of his!

I have Skills 1, 2, 3 too, but still need to get into it. I bought the Rain Maker and is a huge difference in terms of speed. There is a more expensive from Buddy Lee that I want to get in a future.

I started Aero/Jump just mimicking jump roping and now can handle the real jump rope on 1/2 of the DVD. Keep the good work. You may get better;)

icebergslim 04-24-12 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flamingoo (Post 2022157)
How are the air rope dvds? I have an old jumpsnap and don't care too much for the dvds. Could you guys recommend some good jump roping dvds to use?

Start with Michael O's AeroJump, the clips are up on Mary's site. I have been jumping the last 3 months and have seen my endurance go through the roof and it jump started me to running.

Diana3271 04-24-12 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharazPR (Post 2022178)
I have Skills 1, 2, 3 too, but still need to get into it. I bought the Rain Maker and is a huge difference in terms of speed. There is a more expensive from Buddy Lee that I want to get in a future.

I had to do a search on Buddy Lee. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXovowbMsLE

Diana3271 04-24-12 12:47 PM

In comparing the two, Airope looks to be better quality. It is also more than twice the price. I don't want to get something and it breaks easily, either.

Airope: http://www.power-systems.com/p-4177-airope.aspx

EZ-Rope: http://www.revgear.com/product/759/

The Deluxe EZ-Rope uses ball bearings in the handles. I'm guessing this is better than the classic version.

Airope has 2 models, Original and Pro. The rope is thicker on the Pro, so it provides more resistance.

SharazPR In your opinion, the Pro has too much resistance?

Is this the DVD that was mentioned above: http://www.totalfitnessdvds.com/AERO...JIDE-p/809.htm

Dick's Sporting Goods has this: http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...413986.4417719

Helen S 04-24-12 01:09 PM

I have the Original Airope and I really like it. I use it anytime an instructor is either jumproping or simulating jumprope movements. I also use it with my rebounder. I don't think the Airope DVD is worth it.

Sharaz 04-24-12 05:25 PM

Diana - the pro have too much resistance. I feel the heaviness of the balls. I wanted to changed, but in order to avoid all of those return process I kept it. I agree that is made of resistance material and I can tell is going to last.

I only have Michael's jump roping DVD's. The regular AIROPE will be better because he jump fast. With the pro sometimes I have trouble with the crossing patters, due to the higher weigh. I previewed his Skills 1-2-3. It has 3 workouts 30 minutes each. The workouts built on intensity, so there is room to grow and built endurance.

Not sure about the AIROPE DVD's or the level of intensity.

Diana3271 04-25-12 07:57 AM

Thank you so much for the replies. I appreciate the info. I went to Sports Authority last night. I was looking for a couple items. Of course they didn't have either of them. I will check out Dick's Sporting Goods when I am in that area.

I really wish there were more jump rope DVD's available. That's the one thing that's holding me back from purchasing a ropeless jump rope right now.

pharma_gal 04-25-12 08:56 AM

Which ones have the digital counter?

Diana3271 04-26-12 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharma_gal (Post 2022832)
Which ones have the digital counter?

I think the Jump Snap has a counter. I just saw this one at QVC. It has a counter, too. http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/v...DVD-Meal-Guide
Here's a video clip of this one. Disregard the "slim belt" at the end. I don't think it will melt off anything. ;) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oktmn1cc9NU

DI431 04-26-12 02:05 PM

I bought the one pictured on the QVC link at a Sports Authority, it was marked down. I added some weights to the handle from a cheap jump rope I bought in Marshalls.

Diana3271 04-26-12 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DI431 (Post 2023776)
I bought the one pictured on the QVC link at a Sports Authority, it was marked down. I added some weights to the handle from a cheap jump rope I bought in Marshalls.

How long have you had this one? Does the info on the handle seem accurate? Does it seem sturdy? Did yours come with a DVD, too? TIA

DI431 04-28-12 11:09 AM

I bought last year, I have not used that much, the timer seems accurate. I bought it to see if I liked it instead of the more expensive ones. There was not a DVD, there was an offer in the package for a DVD and also for weights for the handles. I bought a weighted jump rope from Marshalls and used the weights.

icebergslim 04-30-12 03:06 PM

My sister has the airope and I tried it out this weekend, I have been using handles. Well, it made a difference in my jump by engaging my arms much more effectively. I could not finish the whole workout with this airless rope. Which means, I may just get this. It definately feels like you are jumping with a real rope.