Year Released: 2013
Categories: Step Aerobics
Video Fitness reviews may not be copied, quoted, or posted elsewhere without the permission of the reviewer
Fun, quick (30 min) cardio workout that is drill based alternating between the high step and floor. The 30 sec break can easily be made shorter by the more advanced and a good goal for me would be to get to 40/20 for some/all of the moves. Toby uses the breaks to cue the next move. These are familiar moves and a fun way to use the high step without climbing up and down. No modifications are shown and some would be easier to modify than others. I liked the music, the set, and Toby's demeanor. There is a count down clock easily visible that counts down the exercise and break time. The warm up was about 4 min. There is a stretch after the workout but no cool down. I walked around before the stretch which wasn't too impressive. Great for the days when you want to get in and out and get it done. I can see myself coming back to this often.
After walking around Toby comments on how that was a break for him - way to call it like it is Toby!
Ignite is a 30 minute mostly high impact workout. It has a 30/30 format — 30 seconds of work, and 30 seconds of rest. It is advanced, and I would rate it in between Cathe’s Hiit 40/20 (which I think is harder) and 30/30 (which is easier) in terms of intensity.
For some, the warm up may feel too fast, and so it may need a few minutes of prior warm-up.
Break Down of Workout:
Warm up (4 risers)
(includes jog, high jog, jumping jacks, high step-ups)
1. Jump squat
2. Wide lateral tap down (4 risers)
3. Touchdown lunge/front kick
4. Touchdown lunge/front kick other side
5. Wide forward and backward leap (behind the step to the front and back)
6. Uneven squat (4 risers)
7. Side line (side to side) touch down
8. Burpee (topper)
9. Fast feet shuffle (4 risers)
10. Plie jack jumps (aka the "Oh My Gods")
11. Double leg lateral jump (I jump over the step topper but Toby does this on the floor)
12. Plunge lunge (4 risers)
13. High wide run (straddle the step)
14. Side shuffle squat
15. 1-2-3 straddle jump (2 risers)
16. Around the world shuffle tap (4)
17. Power knee drive (same as Cathe’s running man) (4 risers)
18. Power knee drive other side (4 risers)
19. 180 jump squat
20. Switch jump lunge
21. Frogger leaps
Toby is enthusiastic and encouraging, and he makes this a lot of fun.