Pump PartyKatina Hunter
Year Released: 2007
Categories: Total Body Workouts
Video Fitness reviews may not be copied, quoted, or posted elsewhere without the permission of the reviewer
This is a total body weight training workout with instructor Katina Hunter. Katina uses compound moves and isolation moves during the workout. The exercises are high rep/low weight. She has four background exercisers with her, who spend some time messing up the moves (starting early, starting on the wrong foot, starting late, etc.) It was amusing, rather than distracting, to watch.
I really liked this workout. Unlike some of my other workouts, this one actually gives you a little time to breathe between exercises while Katina sets up. There is no dread factor here, unless you're short on time. Katina spends some time explaining the exercise that you're going to do, does a 4 count to get you in place, then hops in. She has such a sweet personality too. I like that all her exercisers are different weights and sizes too.
Most of the moves are traditional with a twist. One move I particularly liked were the squats with the kick to the side while holding dumbbells. For the most part though, she stuck to basics (lunges, squats, lat rows, tricep extensions, etc.).
PROS: Great music (I recognized a lot of it from Kari Anderson's Hot Steps), great exercises, and a great personality from Katina Hunter. I will be getting more of her DVDs. Best of all, no dread factor. I could match Katina on most of her weights too :)
1. Katina messes up her form sometimes. So you pretty much have to know how to do a move correctly and not just follow her.
2. Katina didn't introduce her modifier until the workout was almost over. Those not familiar with strength training would need to know this information first.
3. Katina doesn't give a lot of form pointers; she just says "okay, we're going to do this exercise" and then shows you what you're doing. She isn't specific with how not to hurt yourself, if that makes sense.
4. The one background exerciser to her right with the braids looks bored through the whole workout. That's her modifier. But from clips I've seen of Katina's other workouts, this exerciser always has that expression.
Katina has a grat personality! She needs some help on cueing and form pointers. She also has a body of someone that works out but doesn't "obsess" over it. Meaning, she's obviously strong, but not ripped. I could see myself with her body in the future (well, not literally, as in buried in the backyard, but the same physique as her, hee hee).
Production: Very pretty set (an asian theme & colors) with good lighting and wood floors.
Music: All up to date music mixes used throughout the workout.
Chapters: The workout has excellent chapters and bonus premixes. She lists the actual times and the body parts worked (so you'll always know what's next and how much time is involved, great for mixing & matching).
1. Warmup-7 minutes
2. Squat & Bicep Curl-(Legs/Biceps)-4 minutes
3. Scoop Chest Press (calves, chest & shoulders)-7 minutes
4. Squat Kick (legs, biceps, shoulders, forearms)-7 minutes
5. Dead Lift & Shoulder Shrug (hamsrings & trapezius)-5 minutes
6. Front Lunge & Row Kickback (legs, back, triceps)-7 minutes
7. Back Lunge & Upright Row (legs, back, biceps & shoulders)-4 minutes
8. Squat T (legs, shoulders & back)-5 minutes
9. Plie Squat & Cuban Press (legs, abductors, adductors & shoulders)-4 minutes
10. Abs & Core-6 minutes
11. Stretch-7 minutes
Legs, Shoulders, Abs=28 minutes
Legs, Back, Chest=18 minutes
Legs, Biceps, Triceps=18 minutes
The warmup prepares the body for the weight work. Easy to follow, you'll steadily increase the heart rate. Rhythmic stretches are also demonstrated. Using various size weights, you'll perform many functional type movements (similar to what you'd do in everyday activity). The compound weight training utilizes both upper & lower body training at the same time, which will help increase the overall calorie burn. Katina also uses more traditional exercises such as pushups, overhead presses & curls to really focus on the muscle and increase effectiveness. (she'll go back & forth between the two types of training) Using multiple counts and tempo changes, you'll really work the muscle to its point of fatigue. The workout emphasizes muscle endurance (light weight, higher reps). You'll shape and tone your entire body in approximately 65 minutes. Katina concludes the workout with a nice long stretch. (she will also briefly stretch the muscles worked after each set)
Katina's attitude is contageous! She makes working out seem fun (and the weight training less monotonous)! She'll demonstrate the moves prior to going into them so you'll know exactly what to expect. Check out clips on her website www.stepparty.com